Dog Scratching His Ears

My cock-a-poo is constantly having a problem with his ears. He is constantly scratching and then whimpers in pain. Any suggestion or remedies for my little dog?

Thank you.
Maltb from Toronto

Editor's Note: If you haven't already, be sure to consult a vet about this problem. It could be serious.

Answers:

Dog Scratching His Ears

He may have food allergies. Is he building up a ton of wax? Dog ear wax is black. If he is, he's probably allergic to his food. I'd take him to your vet and have him prescribe duck and potato kibble.

The other option is that he may have ear mites. This is also treatable by a vet.

Our dog had a similar problem and once we switched her to duck and potato kibble, the problem went completely away. (05/15/2006)

By kathykl

Dog Scratching His Ears

Dogs can get yeast infection in their ears, too. Check with the vet first for correct diagnosis. (05/15/2006)

By camo_angels

Dog Scratching His Ears

Yes, I agree with the editor in regards with checking with your vet. I used to raise Chinese pugs and was told that the cause of their scratching of the ears was due to ear mites, which can be treated with some sort of tube medication. Also, some breeds of dogs are more prone for this problem to occur rather frequently. (05/16/2006)

By notoldnotyung

Dog Scratching His Ears
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
🎉
🎄