Dog Scratching His Ears

My dog is constantly scratching and growling at his ears. I've checked for fleas, but cannot find any. What could be the problem?

By Suzanne from Manchester

Answers:

Dog Scratching His Ears

It is probably two things, ear mites and then an ear infection. If you take him to the vet and ask for them to check his ears for whatever kind of antibiotic he needs and mite meds, then it won't cost much. Then tell them you can only pay twenty or so dollars today, but you will bring the rest in later that month. It is always a good idea to set up a little envelope in the house and put money in it for the animals. I have increased the amount of money I spend on the animals in our house by buying the more expensive food with meat, not meat by products in the first four ingredients, and I have started a savings account for their flea prevention. There are some good ideas for home remedies, but these are not to replace the vet, but to use before you can get to the vet.

Check out: earthclinic.com.

It is really easier to take them to the vet, and quicker, and that way they get used to going to the vet's and you are happier in the long run, too.
P.S. I have found Frontline to no longer be effective since they have become available in stores, they have changed their formula I believe. I would recommend anything, but that as a topical treatment for fleas.

Blessings,

Robyn (09/13/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Scratching His Ears

It's time for a visit to his veterinarian. (09/14/2010)

By K9cats

Dog Scratching His Ears

He may have a yeast infection. My dog has had yeast infections. The vet gave us some ear wash and drops, which helped a lot. (09/14/2010)

By Marfette

Dog Scratching His Ears

The only person who can make a diagnosis of your dog's ear is the veterinarian and if the animal is shaking it's head together with scratching this could be "ear hematoma" and if this is the case the ear will only get worse without immediate treatment. (09/14/2010)

By FARSTAR

Dog Scratching His Ears
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
🎄