Dog Seems Depressed

I have an 11 month old Shih-Tzu. She is very loving, but she was so attached I could not go more than 3 yards away from her before she started to get upset and started to yap. I gradually started to draw back from her and leave her with my husband sometimes when I went out. Now she does not mind me going out on my own.

She seemed depressed so I got a 2 year old rescue Shih-Tzu. They are very happy with each other, but she is still depressed. The new dog is more playful than her so he wants to play more. What else can I do to make my little girl happy? I try very hard not to spoil her so she does not think I am encouraging this behavior. She is also very hard to feed, she is a little anorexic. I am really worried about her and my vet cannot find anything wrong. Please help.

By jetta23 from Wigan, England

Answers:

Dog Seems Depressed

I'm wondering how you have determined she's depressed. Does you veterinarian think she's depressed? I have 2 dogs and one is the most hyper, playful dog I've ever seen and the other just has spurts of playfulness and is never as bouncy as the other. I think it's just a difference in personalities, like with people. Could your dog just be more laid back?
What do you mean, she's hard to feed? More information is needed to give much of an answer to that one. Does she not like her food? Does she not eat as much as you think she should? Is she underweight? More info. please. (12/30/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog Seems Depressed

Maybe she's just bored. Do you walk her? Does she have interesting things to play with (besides the other dog)? How about those toys that you hide treats in and the dog has to work to get them out? Perhaps she would enjoy agility courses. Maybe she wants some special time alone with just you. She might be very intelligent and simply craves intellectual stimulation! (12/31/2009)

By ahastings7878

Dog Seems Depressed

Pets are amazingly like children.When a child is obviously withdrawn, the best thing to do is dedicate a certain part of your day exclusively to them, to encourage, listen, snuggle, and share. The extra nurturing will eventually build confidence in the child. Same with your puppy. Obviously, she was extremely sensitive and insecure; she required your presence as reassurance. Now, even though you meant well, you have denied her that total access to you. She may have adjusted somewhat to that, then you bring in yet another block to yours and her intimate one on one she requires. She is feeling unwanted, probably. Spend more one on one with her and let her know she is still your baby, all the way. (01/01/2010)

By dollyslaffn

Dog Seems Depressed

More exercise. (01/01/2010)

By muttmom