Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

How do you remove urine stains from a couch? My dog submissively peed a little, but now when we sit down (after cleaning it and Febreezing it), you get a whiff of urine. How do I get rid of that without getting rid of the couch?

Joanna from Albany, NY

Answers:

Pet urine can be removed with outright pet odor eliminator. You can purchase it at Petco, Pet Smart, or Walmart pet dept. Follow the directions. More difficult odor might require a professional deep clean in furniture. May require that the furniture be saturated and extracted with a truck mount. There are many methods that pros use that might scare a home owner to try on their own. These various methods require specialist trained in the field so the furniture can be reused. Mattresses are a common urine source, both human and animal. Good luck. (04/03/2008)

By Atlanta luster kleen

Cleaning with vinegar or anything like that will only attract the animal back to the smell because it is citric, like their urine. Make a mixture of 1/4 cup tea tree oil and 1 cup water, spray area right away with the mixture and let sit as long as possible. Before site dries, use a chamois with books on it to add pressure to the area, that should help. If you can sprinkle baking soda to the area every day for about a week, and when you come home, use a brush to really dig it down in and let it sit again for an hour, then vacuum. This usually works. (12/07/2008)

By Joanne

The enzyme products work the best. I would be careful of the home made solutions - sometimes they cause more damage. I like the products from www.getthesmellout.com.

You can get the urine out of furniture cushions if you saturate the area. Give it some time to work. Re: the cushion with just water. Put the cushion into a plastic garbage bag and use a shop vac to suck the bag - like the vac storage bags on the infomercials. You will be able to extract most of the water out. (01/11/2009)

By Rob

I have been cleaning an 8x8 foot section of stinky pee from my bad little pomapoo for the last few days. I'd guess I went over it about 20 times with my steam cleaner and Bissel pet stain solution. The stains are gone, but the smell is enough to knock out a sumo wrestler. Amazing how a 5 pound dog can cause this amount of rank! I just tried Listerine mixed with white vinegar and can smell an instant improvement! I think there's a light at the end of this pee tunnel. Thanks! (01/20/2009)

By Robyn

(Submitted via email)

Thanks for all the help but I found that a simple solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar will help get rid of the color. I'm going to try a little Borax later on to get rid of the odor of the doggie pee and the vinegar. You may use this on your website if you want, but all in all I would like it if you give me a little bit of credit, but you can still use it. =) Thanks again for all your help, and for your time (to read this message). It really helped me a lot. Oh yeah, my dog thanks you as well (for keeping him out of really big trouble). =) (02/16/2009)

By Sappie

What amount of vinegar and peroxide did you use. Did you mix the two before applying to stain on fabric? Thanks.

Grey Cat Sitting on Blue Chair
Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄