Dog Will Only Eat People Food

Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders
Trying to transition a dog from people food to dog food can be a frustrating process. This is a guide about dog will only eat people food.

I have a 1 year old miniature Jack Russel. She has already had her 1st season. (all fine). For a little while now my dog has gone off her food. She is still very active, still drinking, no loose poos, she might have a little every now and then, but not much.

As soon as she see the kids eating, she wants what they have or what we are eating. It is probably my own fault, for giving her some treats of our food. But it has gotten to the point where she refuses to eat her food because she wants our food! Can someone please help on what to do.

By Michelle from UK

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Do not give your dog human food, only their dog food that is how I get Jack to eat his dog food and I also have Border Collie.

Best Answer

I feed my dog "human food". Dogs were wild animals and ate meat, like we do. I make her a stew from meat (beef or chicken), potatoes and peas. I simmer it for a few hours until it is nice and tender, because she is 16 years old and likes soft foods. It smells delicious and has none of the preservatives store bought food has. The vet gave me some vitamins to give her, as she needs calcium, etc. and she is very healthy and very old! If you give your dog "human food", just make sure it isn't junk food like processed meats (wieners, sandwich meats, sausages, etc.) which we shouldn't be eating anyway!

I have tried so many different brands, I have added water and warmed it up, added food that we are eating to it and she will pick through the food and spit out the dog food. I am going crazy with her; she will only eat people's food. She will go days with out eating if we don't give her people's food. Please any ideas?

By Andra

Best Answer

Hello,

I feed my 2 Bichon/Poodle crosses with people food. I also have my Veterinarians approval to do this. Ever since they were 8 weeks old, we have fed them; diced cooked chicken and we mix in cooked carrots (the carrots are mashed and I use about a teaspoon at each meal).

I also give them about 2 tablespoons of Wellness or any other brand of canned food with each meal. Please buy a premium canned dog food, you will see a difference in your dog. Dogs cannot eat just chicken and carrots, they need the nutrients in the canned food. As a treat I make their treats from a recipe we have at our hospital.

I am a retired Veterinary Practice Manager. Please do not feed your fur baby from the table or give her any bones. My whole family feeds their dogs this way. Our Welsh Corgi lived to be 16 years old on this diet. You can go online and find recipes for homemade dinners & treats. My dogs will eat a cooked carrot or zucchini for a snack and we also put cooked sweet potato in with their chicken. They love it. Good luck

I have a crossed-bred Pomeranian and Japanese Spitz. It's already three months old. Before it used to eat dog food, but when my boyfriend fed my dog Tinola, a Filipino dish (chicken soup) it started not to eat dog food. It only likes to eat rice with soup and some meat. What can I do?

By Angel G.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Dogs have a keen sense of smell and I think he knows what bad things are in it. Check out "4 D meat" in your search engine you'll want to throw up. You can't tell me that corporate America isn't putting it in the dog food. I'm a strong advocate for feeding dogs real food like cooked chicken,meat loaf, etc.

My family has done this and our dogs lived a longer time longer than the average age for their breed. Switch the dog over to people food gradually so his system adapts to it. If he gets watery stools make sure you aren't feeding him watery food.

It comes out the same consistency as it goes in. If he continues to have watery stools then just given him cooked rice and cooked hamburger but make sure the hamburger isn't greasy. Don't listen to those people who say it's wrong to do. There could be a reason they say it, and that is they probably have a dog club and get nice donations from the dog food industry.

My 3 yr old Lab was pulling away from her regular dog food the last few weeks and now will not eat it at all. I took her to the vet, who did comprehensive lab work and everything is okay. I had her teeth checked too. She will readily eat human food, even dog biscuits and today I gave her some cheap dry dog food and she ate it. I want to get her back on her good food, any suggestions?

By Kathie

I had this problem a few months ago with my four-year old female Pitbull Terrier. She was still eating, but only about a quarter of what she should have been! We tried a few things that worked:

Mixing plain, organic yogurt with the kibbles - you can gradually decrease the amount (applesauce works too!)

You can buy dehydrated liver pieces at pet stores (they come in a shake bottle). A few shakes of these and they'll be in love with their food!

A drizzle of olive oil over the food may help, too.

Worst case, try boiling up some plain chicken breasts and white rice. This will serve as a suitable mix-in to the food until the pup gets back on track.

Good luck!

(in the end, we ended up switching our girl to raw. She LOVES to eat now... although it's a bit more expensive and time consuming, I feel the end result was worth it).

How can I get my female dog to eat her dog food and not human food? My female dog only eats human food. I also have a male dog that is getting the same way. What can I do to them to eat dog food?

By Kathryn from Lexington, KY

Answers:

My Dogs Won't Eat Dog Food Only Human Food

I'm no expert in this, but it seems to me that you just don't give them human food, no matter what (not even as a treat). Only offer dog food. If they're spoiled to people food, they might resist for a while, but eventually they'll be hungry enough to eat their dog food.

I'm thinking of it in terms of a stubborn child. They might not be happy, but eventually self preservation (not starving) will prevail. Best of luck! (06/29/2010)

By mrs.story

Agree with mrs. story. No people food and no treats, but everyone in the family has to back you up on this.

Set the dog food down for fifteen minutes in the morning; if they don't eat it, bring it back up and set it down again for dinner. Again, if they're still turning up their noses after fifteen minutes, their time is up, take it away.

If you haven't caved in, by the second day most dogs will pretty much eat whatever is offered. Going one day to get the message across isn't cruel or unusual punishment (according to our vet, it's crueler to feed nothing, but table food. It's not the right mix of nutrients the dog needs and also tends to promote obesity and dental problems). (06/29/2010)

By PupperMom

Dog food sold to my daughter for her Brutus (a Pug) caused him to suffer kidney failure, and she quit her job to stay home and take care of him after he became paralyzed from the "waist" down. He was treated pretty much like a baby. Totally incontinent, he was bathed, lotioned or powdered, and diapered 24/7 for 4 years before he passed away in her arms.

He was never in pain according to their new vet who advocated no dog food at all. Melonee cooked for him and he was given supplements, vitamins w/minerals just like people take although they were bought from the vet. Just the fact that Brutus lived another 4 years making him 14 when he died was more than they dared hoped for, but proved beyond a doubt that people food was best.

Now, they have a Boxer almost 7 years old. Our granddoggie Sadie Belle hasn't had dog food since the kids got her when she was about 4 months old, and she is the happiest, healthiest and smartest dog we've ever seen. Rethink or relearn that lesson regarding dog food vs. people food. Like everything else, it depends entirely on how and what the people food is.

Chicken, lamb, brown rice, and loads of cooked vegetables, eggs and grits for breakfast with half a banana along with her vitamins keeps her sleek, vital, and totally energetic.
Dog food has little more than meat leftovers and only God knows what else they put into it. Chicken toenails, entrails, combs and ? for starters.

We recently met people who have a hatchery. That sounds fairly innocent, right? The eggs hatch, and the new little chicks are immediately thrown in plastic bags (10 per bag) and frozen. They are sold to cat and dog food makers in the USA.

I think it's way past time that we as human beings paid some attention to how and what our pet foods are made from and how. I truly believe we'll decide that cooking for our pets isn't such a bad idea after all.

There are all sorts of good vitamins and supplements for them just the same as for human children who are not eating their spinach. You will not have to worry about what goes into your baby's food if you prepare it yourself and the same goes for your fur babies. All the pet food recalls should have been a wake-up call for us.

Dogs should never have onions, so you do have to pay attention to those kinds of things when you're cooking something for yourself that you plan to share with your doggie.

Sadie loves her fruits and vegetables. After she has her breakfast at 8am, she goes into the living room and stands at our SIL's chair and waits for her vitamins. No one has to call her. She knows what to do and when to do it.

At 4:30 in the afternoon, she comes inside and stands at her bowl, knowing that it'll be full at 5pm. She might even lie down and take a nap right there, but she won't leave her bowl until she's eaten. Good habits are great, but not all that easy to do sometimes. It's necessary though if you want a nice healthy pet.

Hope this helps.

(06/29/2010)

By PookaRina

Offer her dog food and water and nothing else. She won't starve. But on the other hand according to my vet there's nothing wrong with feeding your pet people food. (06/30/2010)

By nineleven47

I'm glad you were strong and stuck with it! I'm sure they wanted their people food, but eventually a dog has got to eat. I wish there was an easier way. I wonder if, someday, you'll be able to give them little treats, or if that will un-do your progress. I had a dog who happily ate his dog food, but if we had takeout I'd share a few of my French fries with him. It was fun and he enjoyed it. But it wouldn't be worth it if they then refuse dog food again.
I'm really glad it worked out for you. Thank you for updating us. (07/01/2010)

By mrs.story