Dog With Arthritis

My old Sheltie is starting to limp and shows he is in pain from arthritis. I have him on glucosamine and chondroitin. I forgot which pain killer is good for dogs, aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen?

Susan from Hamilton, Ontario

Answers:

Dog With Arthritis

Never give any dog human medication unless it's under the advice of your veterinarian. A call to your vet is free.

Take care. (01/22/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Dog With Arthritis

The best thing to do is change her diet, go see dogfoodsecrets.com or you can give aspirin to your dog, I give some to my 12 year old German Shepherd, for cats it is toxic, but I do recommend you talk to a vet first. (01/22/2008)

By Gazelle

Dog With Arthritis

Ascriptin was prescribed by my vet. It's aspirin with buffering agents, so your dog's stomach won't bleed. It's sold without a prescription (as human medicine) and is much cheaper than Rimadyl. (01/22/2008)

By Nance

Dog With Arthritis

Instead of medication, try mixing a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your dog's food once a day. My dog has a spinal birth defect and limped a lot when we first got her. I started mixing the coconut oil in her food and now she doesn't limp. My aunt did the same for her dog that had severe arthritis. Now her dog is running and playing with other dogs. It may take a couple of weeks before you notice a difference. You can purchase the coconut oil from Puritan's Pride, health food stores, some grocery stores, and some Wal-Mart stores. Good luck. (01/22/2008)

By Momof1

Dog With Arthritis

We gave our pooch children's liquid Motrin and it made her intoxicated. She was walking sideways. Lucky we didn't kill her. A friend gives her Shepherd a baby aspirin everyday for uncle Arthur. (01/22/2008)

By Prudi

Dog With Arthritis

I have a 13 year old big red mutt that has arthritis in his hips so bad that he could barely walk. My husband and I tried everything and it seemed like nothing worked until we switched his dog food from Science Diet to a brand called Evolution. I swear it has turned him into a totally different dog. He runs around like a puppy and very rarely does he act like he's in any pain. He loves the way the food tastes, too.

The only catch is that you have to get the food online and have it shipped to you because the big box stores don't carry it. It costs about as much as Science Diet. Which, by the way is gross, but it's not just them, it's almost all pet foods. Science Diet just charges you more money for it. I just can't believe their ingredients. Chicken by-product meal is nothing but the scrapings off the bottom of a chicken coop, feathers, sawdust, and chicken poop and pee. I'm ashamed that I fed that to my best friend for so long. Anyway, I hope this helps you. It worked for us. (01/22/2008)

By Mandalyn

Dog With Arthritis

My vet said to never give a dog Tylenol. Give only Buffered Aspirin. Tylenol is very bad for dogs (I suppose it is for cats also, but I didn't ask). Also, I buy Rimadyl online, less expensive than from the vet. I have him write the prescription, and I send it to the online pet pharmacy, and I get the Rimadyl for less. I also get heart worm meds that way. I know I am getting the actual meds, but you have to be careful where you buy. I get mine from "Entirelypets.com". I suppose there are others just as reliable, but I am experienced with that one so I stay with them. (01/22/2008)

By Stingray

Dog With Arthritis

Take your dog to a vet first. If you love him; gather up your questions and ask the vet when they are done with the exam. People responding here are trying to help, but they aren't vets, and even if they were they aren't able to examine your dog first.

Your dog is suffering, so crack open your wallet; take out a $50 and go to the vet to get your dog some proper care. I'm all for homeopathic remedies, but they also must be taken responsibly. (01/28/2008)

By D

Dog With Arthritis

(posted by email)

You never want to give dogs Tylenol. It is a killer for sure. I gave my dog aspirin until I saw the vet and he OKd that. (I already knew aspirin is OK for dogs) For joint pain, he is on glucosamine chondroitin that the dogs can chew. He told me to get that. I bought it at the pet store. I always give it to him before food so it doesn't upset his stomach.

Judy
(08/18/2009)

By Sappie

Dog With Arthritis
Knitted Myrrh Bag
Knitted Myrrh Bag Patterns
Cooking With Arthritis
Cooking With Arthritis
Old Dog
Treating Arthritis in Dogs
Arthritis Pain
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
🎉
🎄