Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

My Cocker Spaniel has had a horrible yeast ear infection for 3 months. We have made many trips to the vet, spent $700+ and the ear is still stinky, draining, etc. Any ideas how we might be able to treat this infection?

We have tried many different antibiotics, and now the vet thinks it might possibly be a food allergy. This is making us crazy, plus Rusty is miserable, rubbing ear on rug, etc. And the smell is unbearable. Please help.

By Donna from Cincinnati, OH

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

3 drops of vinegar in each ear 2x a day. Allow to stay in for 5 minutes then let the dog shake it out, or turn his head to drain it out. Please do not use any peroxide or alcohol; these damage tissue and delay healing. Vinegar helps to kill bacteria, to dry the canal, and maintain correct pH balance. Once things are restored to normal; remember to use the vinegar drops after exposing the dog to moisture (bath for instance). (01/04/2010)

By twilightgift

Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

I know you've already spent hundreds on vets, but maybe it's time for a second opinion from a different vet. I thought the answer that the other poster gave about vinegar was good. However, if it is a food allergy, I don't think the vinegar will clear it up totally unless you change the dog's food as well.

I also saw on here where one person began giving their dog a large spoonful of yogurt with active cultures in it every day because the cultures prevented the yeast from flourishing. I've heard that works for human females as a preventative to yeast infections so maybe it would work on your dog? Yogurt shouldn't hurt your dog, but I think regarding the vinegar: I always heard you could use it for cleaning your dogs ears, but that it should be diluted with water first. (01/05/2010)

By kjablue

Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

My sister had this problem with her dog and it was caused by diet. She feeds her dog a diet of fish and potatoes. The dog could not tolerate meat. The infection is gone. I think yogurt is a good idea, too, I give my Greyhound a tablespoon every night and his coat is like velvet. Good luck and check with another vet! (01/09/2010)

By jabsgram

Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

The long, hanging ears of Cockers are notorious for ear infections. You can try Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution - "Hydrocortisone free". Also, I think there is a Cocker Spaniel site on the web that gives advice on their ears and infections. She will lose her hearing if the infections continue. Clip the hair inside to allow as much air as possible to get in. Also, pin (or rubberband) the ears up (by the hair, not the ear!) to let air in.

I found the website, here it is. Just "please read" the entire page before using it on your dog. Do "not" use with open sores, etc. (01/10/2010)

By ahastings7878

Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

My Morgan also had a problem with this and low and be hold it's the dog food. We have switched over to INVOA and it has cleared up this problem. At the Puppy Chow pet store, they have samples you can buy. It's a bit pricey, but the money you save in vet bills is worth it and your dog is healthier and happy. (01/11/2010)

By sillepeanut

Dog With Chronic Ear Infection

When my dog gets yeast infections, I run to nearest store and buy Monistat. Its the cream for women's yeast infections. Just put a squeeze in ear 2 times a day for about 7 days, and gently rub ear to spread it in. Can rub a little around the infection on ear flap, too. Cockers are known for having bad ears. This clears my dog's ears right up, and I always have some left for the next time one may start. Your vet is right, and it could be allergies. But yeast needs warm, dark places to thrive. Keep ears as dry as possible, and clean. (01/12/2010)

By pltm4m

Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears