Dog With Itchy Skin

I have an 11 year old Boston Terrier named Daisy Huckleberry. She is a sweetheart. Her problem is itchy skin. I bathe her in flea shampoo and oatmeal shampoo. This helps but only temporally. Any suggestions on a home remedy to help her get some relief?

Thanks,
Mayverne from North Carolina

Answers:

Dog With Itchy Skin

Give your dog some Benadryl. Even if it's a 1/2 tablet per day. It relieves the itching just as it would for us. I asked my vet about it and he said it's okay to give to the dog (which I have). (10/05/2005)

By SueBee

Dog With Itchy Skin

I feed my babies Science Diet Sensitive Skin and also feed 3V caps. (they are indoor dogs)

Jennifer
Northern Virginia
(10/05/2005)

By ILuvDobes

Dog With Itchy Skin

Have you tried giving up the flea shampoo for a while and see if that helps? A lot of those flea shampoos are made up of really toxic ingredients and maybe she's allergic to them. Plus, there's the question of whether you want to expose yourself to the toxic ingredients in flea soaps.

It is more expensive, but it is so easy and safe, to use a drug like Frontline. If you're only worried about fleas, it will last for three months with one treatment. (For ticks, you have to treat once a month). Frontline is currently the "least toxic" method of controlling fleas on pets.

Another thing you could try is giving her some lipids in her diet. We occasionally feed our dog the egg yolks when we have a recipe that calls for whites only. I cook them in the microwave and she loves them. (10/05/2005)

By Kathy K.

Dog With Itchy Skin

I don't know if you have it there, but Lanicane Talcum Powder (For humans) is very good. Stops the 'itch, scratch, itch' cycle, and numbs the skin. If you don't have Lanicane, I'm sure the pharmacist will have something similar which will do the trick. (10/05/2005)

By veronica

Dog With Itchy Skin

I found vitamin E oil from a drug store soothes iches and is safe if licked from skin.....hope this helps (10/06/2005)

By Donna

Dog With Itchy Skin

You can also try too put some olive oil on the food. It got too the point that the dog would not eat his food without it. My daughter had too do this for her dog. It did work. (10/06/2005)

By Joyce wis

Dog With Itchy Skin

I have an 8 year old rat terrier who has severe allergies to a lot of stuff. On her rear her skin is really red. I usually just take her to the vet for an allergy shot and that's good for about 30 days, but if I don't have the money to go to the vet I give her a bath in dawn dishwashing liquid, and give her a small dose of liquid benadryl. This really gives her some relief for a few days at a time. I've also used some stuff I found at Wal-Mart for Hot Spots that helps a little. (10/06/2005)

By mamascott

Dog With Itchy Skin

I give my Schiperkee 2 pills a day of Brewers Yeast. And a multivitamin and have to be careful not to give her any foods outside of her regular diet. This always inflames her. (10/06/2005)

By

Dog With Itchy Skin

My dog had the same problem, he'd bite and scratch until he bleed, after awhile he had a permanent bald spot on his back. I tried all the things on the replies. I finally have a dog with fur, we changed his dog food to lamb an rice and it worked for us. (10/06/2005)

By ellen

Dog With Itchy Skin

Brew up some strong Lipton tea (use about 7-8 bags). Let cool, and transfer to a spray bottle .. this will greatly relieve the itching, and allow the skin to heal. (This is also very good for human itching also!) (10/21/2005)

By Lucy

Dog With Itchy Skin

Thank you very much for the advice. I am off to the vet today. Wish me luck! (05/23/2006)

By Gloria

Dog With Itchy Skin -TOXIC

I noticed some feedback that includes over the counter human meds. Many of these are TOXIC to pets (most we know are toxic/deadly like: ibuprofin, motrin etc). Also toxic: Lanicane, hydrogen peroxide, etc - -please visit the following site to learn others to stay away from: http://www.shakervet.com/household_medications.html
(b)(/b) (04/06/2007)

By Katie

Dog With Itchy Skin

I have a rat terrier mix breed dog with bad skin allergies. We participated in a new treatment at North Carolina State University Vet Hospital. It is a medication called Cyclosporine. It is WONDERFUL!! He does not scratch, bite or chew if he gets his medicine. I give him 25 mg in a pill every day. It is a prescription from your vet. It is now approved for use in dogs for skin allergies. So contact your vet and try it. It is kinda expensive But well worth the money! By the way this is the same medicine used in people to prevent organ rejection after a transplant. (04/20/2007)

By starcrystal444

Dog With Itchy Skin

My pug has been on Benadryl for a couple of years. I tried elimination diets, cooking for her, etc. Finally, I asked my vet to give her the allergen blood panel screening. It was $225.00, but it was priceless. She turned out to be allergic to a number of things, including: rice, eggs, turkey, various grasses, trees, regional inhalants (weeds), wool, jute and others. Also, she was border line allergic to wheat, pork, cow's milk and barley. All the things in the expensive holistic foods! Now I cook for her, using chicken, oatmeal, beef and fresh vegetables. She is taking a monthly shot (which I give myself). This runs about $20.00 per month. What a difference it has made in her life! (12/28/2007)

By Angel1V

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A dog itching in the grass.
Relieving Itching for Dogs
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
A cute beagle sitting on the floor.
My Beagle is Itching
🎉
🎄