Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I have a boxer dog who has severe skin allergies. Can anyone please tell me a remedy to get rid of it? He scratches and scratches until he is scratching all the hair off and makes himself bleed.

Tina from Georgia

Answers:

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I know that a cod liver oil supplement works wonders for skin. Probably one or two a day in his food. Try it, it can only do good. I had a long haired cat that took a pill everyday and she lived to be 19 years old. Good luck. (07/24/2006)

By Sharon L Martin

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I also have a boxer with allergies and it can be horrible! My advice is to have your vet allergy test him, then you know exactly what the problem is and can eliminate it and the scratching will stop. My boxer was so uncomfortable when her allergies were out of control. (07/24/2006)

By Echo`

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Take the dog to the vet to check for allergies. Our dog had similar problems when she was younger, and we had to change the dog food we gave her. (07/25/2006)

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Find a homeopathic veterinarian. Homeopathy cures allergies and works well on animals! Also the book, "Impossible Cure", by Amy L. Lansky, PhD. (07/25/2006)

By Nicole

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Our dog also had this problem, and our vet put her on TEMARIL P. She has shown a lot of improvement. Sure hope this helps your little one as it has helped ours. A big hug to your little one from our Mishka II (07/25/2006)

By JODI

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I think the best treatment for allergies is to remove the offending allergen. Our dog was allergic to fleas or flea bites. The vet put him on cortisone pills. (07/26/2006)

By Carol in PA

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I know that vets can give you something, but if they can't, get some tea tree oil and rub it on him. Also, you can go to a pet store and they have products for it. I give my dog with allergies a tablet with a vitamin B complex, also known as brewers yeast. I add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to their food. (07/26/2006)

By tlcdsfit

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I think the diet change and the cod liver oil will likely do the job. A food brand change, too, may help. I have used successfully (as a help while trying other things), Hydrocortisone 1 percent strength ointment, and also Benadryl itch stopping gel. You can get these from your local drug store over the counter. I also suggest that you talk with your pharmacist about itch relieving, over the counter medications for people such as those mentioned? I would be very interested as to how you come out with the problem. (07/26/2006)

By jerryno1

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Hi. My dog, a Jack Russel Terrier, has severe skin allergies, too. It's almost a full-time job keeping up with her. I use several approaches. Last summer I gave her half a tablet of Benadryl. It worked. Now I use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide/water and wash the areas clean. This seems to be the best remedy. I do this almost daily, and especially when she starts scratching terribly. Hope it works for you. (07/26/2006)

By SATellite88

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Our dog did that too, and we had to switch her food to only lamb and rice formula. She never had problems after that. (07/26/2006)

By wera

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Have your vet do a blood test checking for thyroid problems. This was overlooked for years, and my poor pooch suffered. I went to many vets and was told many things: told that she had hot spots and to live with it, was told she was probably allergic to grass (no allergy tests done for this assertion), and was even told she was allergic to her own dander! It literally took years before one doc decided to test for thyroid problems.

It turned out that she had a thyroid problem, and her skin cleared once she was properly diagnosed and given necessary medication. After ruling out hot spots, parasites and allergies, a simple blood test can tell you about thyroid troubles one way or another. I sure wish I would have known about the relationship between skin/coat and thyroid much sooner. Hope this info helps someone. (07/27/2006)

By Peg

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

My dog had the same problem when she was younger. The vet gave her "anti-allergy" pills for a week, and we changed her food and also stopped giving her maize products. (She used to get a bowl of maize porridge additional every day, as she loves it.) Although now she is back on regular dog food without problems. (Porridge only once in a while, she still loves it.) (08/11/2006)

By Rottweiler

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

My Boston has terrible allergies also. This is Texas though, almost everyone has allergies! He takes a steroid less powerful and harmful than prednisone called Triamcinolone every other day, 1/2 Benadryl on alternating days, and uses prescribed shampoo twice a week. All of this seems to keep it under control. He was so itchy and miserable before. Good luck! (09/04/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I have had this problem, too. But I went with organic food and all allergy symptoms went away. Also, antibiotics in their food and ours causes thyroid problems and allergies. (04/02/2007)

By Lisa

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
woman scratching patch of red irritated skin on back of hand
Treating Skin Rashes
🎉
🎄