Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

I have a 2 year old Maltese/Bishon who weighs 8lbs. She's been on Natural Balance since she was a puppy. She's had skin problems with allergies, but last weekend she started scratching and biting her hips and paws so bad they bled. She's pulled a large area of hair out on her hip area.

I've taken her to the vet before, but they just want me to give her benadryl. This is the worst she has ever been. I don't know how to find a holistic vet in my area or how to get her tested for food allergies.

I had her tested this summer for grasses, wool, etc. and she was allergic to all grasses, but now something else is happening. Can anyone help me?

By Joyce from Cape Coral, FL

Answers:

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Hi. You could try this remedy for a few days and if the dog responds to it, then continue it until it is all clear, and then reduce it to once a week:

Warm a cup of milk, mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder in it, and feed the milk to the dog once a day. Tumeric has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, and will help to remove the internal infection from the dog's body. (12/17/2009)

By roopasekhar

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

My dog had severe allergies, too. I switched him to a dry food that didn't contain any corn. Corn is used in most dry foods. It did help. (12/20/2009)

By mulberry204

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Most dogs who have this problem are purebreds. They need cortisone shots to take care of the problem. I wouldn't treat the symptom. I'd try to treat what is causing the problem instead. (12/20/2009)

By Carol in PA

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

Probably stems from vaccine. Get her to a homeopath and rid the vaccine poison and strengthen the immune system. No corn, wheat, or soy. Dog favorite--half cook KALE in a little coconut oil. Never had a dog that didn't devour it like ice cream. (12/20/2009)

By muttmom

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies

It sounds like your dog is suffering with hypothyroidism and hypoadrenia. You can get thyroid from the net without a Rx and hydrocortisone, too, I think. When the adrenals and thyroid are under-active, it causes all kinds of physical issues, and if your dog has these conditions, there are things going on inside, things that can cause some really horrible things.

There are some articles out there about some vets testing for these things and treating dogs with what I mentioned. They are few and far between, but at least you have a place to start. If you get these hormones yourself, start out with about maybe 5mg or less of thyroid and maybe 1mg or less of hydro cortisone, or something. I just thought about, licorice root DGL is a natural cortisone and you could try some of that in her food. Open a capsule and mix it in her food. It tastes like licorice, she may even eat it off your hand. (12/20/2009)

By c t

Dog With Severe Skin Allergies
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
woman scratching patch of red irritated skin on back of hand
Treating Skin Rashes
🎉
🎄