Dog With Soft Stool

I've had my sweet greyhound for a month. She has always had a mushy stool. She goes once maybe twice a day and get plenty of water. She seems happy and playful. Should I be concerned?

Carla from San Francisco, CA

Dog With Soft Stool

Try adding about 1/4 cup of pumpkin to her food. I adopted a boxer that was filled with worms. It did some serious damage to her intestines. Whenever her stools seem runny or too soft, I add a little pumpkin and she's usually fine in a day or two. Use the canned stuff, not the pumpkin pie mix, just the plain pureed stuff. Did you have her tested for worms? If not I would do that too. But definitely do the pumpkin regardless. (06/27/2006)

By dt

Dog With Soft Stool

It could be her nerves. I have owned 3 Greyhounds and they do not take to change very well. It also might be that she is getting use to a new diet, since I'm sure your feeding her differently than the race track did. If this continues for to much longer I would notify your vet. (06/27/2006)

Dog With Soft Stool

You could add rice, wheat bran or even banana to her diet to help bind her stools a bit.

Dog With Soft Stool

I have fostered 18 Greyhounds and many of them come to me with loose stools. I found that when I switched them over to Purina Healthy Morsels for Seniors it helps. I also add 1 TBL of vanilla yogurt to their food.

By I luv Greys

Dog With Soft Stool

I also have a wonderful greyhound. From time to time I've had the same problem with other dogs and many of the suggestions people are offering did the trick. But take my word for it, greys are different! I had the same problem with Gabby as you're having. They have the most sensitive stomachs of any breed I know. I work with dogs constantly, so I've seen it all. Forget the pumpkin, rice, yogurt, etc. I was getting so aggravated. "Poo Patrol" was a nightmare!

Anyway, know what stopped it in a matter of 1 day? CANIDAE dog food. I'm talking almost immediately. There are only 2 types, "All Life Stages" (my choice)and "Lamb & Rice". At the time, I also had a 14-1/2 year old Dalmatian with the same problem as Gabby. Even with his age, it's still helped to firm it up. Unfortunately, he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge just a couple of weeks ago.
If you read this, please just buy a small bag of Canidae (that's what I did) and try it. I would love to know if it helps. (08/26/2008)

By leospets807

Dog With Soft Stool
pug looking sad.
Dog With Soft Stool
Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Puppy With Blood in its Stool
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green