Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I have Red Bone Coon Hound that my husband and I rescued from the animal shelter. She was starving and was in very bad shape when the shelter got her. The vet had her on Clavamox for her skin. When we brought her home she did not scratch, had a great coat.

I have had her to the vet since then, she is back to the scratching. They gave me meds to help with the scratching and some shampoo to bath her every 10 days. That was great for about month, now she back to the scratching.

I have been to the pet store, and buy everything to get her to stop. I even changed her food to Iams as I was told that this is a better dog food. I am at the end of my rope. The vet is not helping as they told me she has mites. I have another dog and she is not like this.
Does anyone have an suggestions for me.

- Chrissy

Answers:

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I had the same trouble with my free dog who is a Scottie mix. The vet said try Lab and Rice Food and it works. That was 10 years ago and she is full of hair and happy. Good luck. (04/11/2005)

By Jill

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I would definitely go to another vet. Sometimes even one flea could bite your dog and they could be allergic to it and be scratching all the time until you get medication. You may also have to change the dog food. Good luck. (04/11/2005)

By Donna J.

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

We just recently had a similar experience with our rescue pup. We purchased "Wellness" brand Fish and Sweet Potato dry food. They also make "Simple Solutions" which consists of one meat protein, venison or duck, and one carbohydrate, ground brown rice. They are especially made for chronic conditions, allergies, and ailments.

Try: oldmotherhubbard.com There is a store locator on their site. You can also contact them. I did and they were very helpful. "Via phone: From US and Canada please call 1-800-225-0904, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time."

(04/11/2005)

By D. Ann

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

Consider switching or supplementing your dog's food with raw food including raw bones. Cooked bones splinter, but raw bones and meat are a dog's natural diet.

Pet food is a relatively recent invention.
Check out websites for tips on switching your dog's diet as there is plenty of information available on the web.
Good luck and try to use drugs as a last resort as most have side effects. (04/12/2005)

By Pet lover

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My son's Rottweiler had a type of mange that required multiple treatments. The vet gave him a prescribed dip to use at home, since if the vet did it, the cost would be very high. He faithfully followed the vet's instructions and after about three months the dog was problem free. His dog was not even a year old when the dog was diagnosed. I read that some types of mange can take awhile to heal if it becomes infected. Try another vet and ask to have a skin scraping done. Good luck and thanks for rescuing this dog. (04/12/2005)

By mkymlp

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My in-laws in Florida had the same problem with their Dachshund. What finally worked for them was to rub Bag Balm on the affected areas several times a day. Bag Balm is a salve used on the udders of cows and you can find it at stores that sell livestock and farming supplies. (04/18/2005)

By Becki in IN

Dog Won't Stop Scratching
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄