Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I have a 5 year old Golden Retriever mix. I have only had her for one year and she is having skin problems. Back in the summer my sister brought her dog over to my house and it had fleas. I did not know this at the time. I'm thinking she may be allergic to fleas.

Her skin is dried out and she has bad hot spots. She is always scratching at her ears and above her tail, I guess where her tail starts, also around her legs.

I have changed her food, kept her clean, and done everything to keep fleas off of her. What else could this be? She did have this problem before when I first got her, but it went away. I have not been able to get her to the vet due to financial problems, but am really considering not paying a bill to take her. Is there anything out there to help her, on the market?

By Melody from Farmville, VA

Answers:

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

The pattern you describe of the tail, rear legs, and behind the ears indicates flea dermatitis. Dog with food allergies normally break out across their stomach and groin and sides of theri face. Making sure your dog is not the host will take care of the cause. We use Advantage monthly even though we don't have fleas. My oldest dog will get a reaction with even a flea bite off of the clothes of neighbor kids with dogs.

I know the monthly can be expensive but it is far less expensive than vetting the results. Maybe you could find another friend with dogs who buys like the six month supply of Advantage and offer to buy one month off of her till you can afford. Keeping the hot spots clean will help a little. My friends and I always share creams etc. for our dogs to cut expenses for all of us. Hopefully you can find the same to help you through these hard times. Best wishes! (01/13/2010)

By caninecodependent

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

Dog Won't Stop Scratching
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎄