Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

Our Basset hound has an awful ear infection that keeps recurring. It is fungus/yeast based and the doctors just can't find the right medication for him. Any suggestions?

By cosy from Columbia, SC

Answers:

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

My dog suffered from the same problem with horrible itchy, smelly ear infections. After extensive treatment with Xymox to get rid of the last infection, I've started him on a preventative diet. Now I give him a large spoonful of plain, low-fat yogurt every morning and he's not had a problem since. The active cultures in the yogurt destroy the yeast, and prevent new infections. (09/29/2009)

By mydogisgeorge

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

I had a friend that clued me in on this. Go to the drug store and get generic athlete foot cream. Clean outer portions of dog's ears, then put the cream on the ear flap and a little bit in the ear canal. Kind of massage the ear gently. Sometimes the dog will cry out when you are doing it, so you are rubbing too hard.

The dog can't lick his ear (at least mine cannot) and it works. I do this 2-3 times a week until cleared up, and then keep checking to see if you have gotten all the black goopy stuff out. Or if it multiplied again, it is a yeast infection. Then be sure to give your dog a treat afterward, and wash your hands. Good luck. (09/30/2009)

By sassier299

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

I was going to suggest yogurt, but since someone already has, I'll just say that I agree with them. (09/30/2009)

By azDana

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

Tea Tree Oil! I buy it at Target, in the vitamin section. It's a natural anti-fungal. Not the best smelling stuff in the world, but it works. (09/30/2009)

By nmh

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

Oregano oil is tremendously effective on many such problems, as is tea tree oil, but again, I must suggest checking out earthclinic.com. They've been a lifesaver before and they have a pet section, as well. Good luck! (10/01/2009)

By Gina J.

Dog with Chronic Ear Infection

Straight white vinegar is really good for fungus on skin. Start out with a weakened solution and slowly make it stronger til it's straight. (10/01/2009)

By c t

Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🎉
🎄