Dollar Store for Food Items

Vote for this contest contender!

Whenever you are in the dollar store, make sure you go down the food aisle. Many times, you get lucky and find items that are much more expensive in the supermarket. You may even find gourmet items.

The picture here shows Dijon mustard, which I use for salad dressing and recipes, as well as sandwiches. It was $1 at the dollar store, and $4 and up in the supermarket. Two weeks ago, I found frozen blueberries, which are also over $4 in the supermarket. I have also found baking powder that retails for $2.69 , real chocolate chips and flavored coffee syrups.

Judy, you are so right! We usually always hit the dollar store on our way to the "big" store as some $1 items could change my grocery list of "needed" items and save money..

Thanks - hope others can take advantage of this type of savings.

Betty

I purchase paper plates, aluminum foil sheets, cleaning products, stationery and writing pens, markers, teacher supplies, greeting cards and food items such as canned goods, condiments, baking ingredients and other snack items. I grocery shop at Aldi's and purchase other grocery items from the Dollar Tree

The Dollar Stores in my area have done a complete turn around in the past few years. They are often higher than regular stores. There is an exception, Dollar Tree. I buy several canned goods there. Always just a dollar. They have some of the best pie fillings. The cherry is delicious!

You have to know your prices for sure. Canned goods are usually less than $1 if they are on sale at the supermarket. Some items come in smaller packages and come out to be more expensive. I do get good deals on gift bags and greeting cards. I almost never buy toiletries there. I do much better at CVS with coupons and Extra Care Bucks.