TablesFurniture

Double AA Battery Left a Burn Mark on Oak Table

I left a double AA battery on the table and it left a burn on it. I tried to clean it with baking soda and sand it some, but don't know how far I should sand it. The rectangle shape of battery is still there. Do I keep sanding it?

Best Answer

It looks like you have removed the finish so you may have to lightly sand it and look for a matching finish.

Suggestion/Instructions from a home refinishing site:

Sand the area to remove any remaining finish. Use fine grit sandpaper to reduce the risk of leaving striations in the wood. Dont sand any deeper than necessary. You wont be able to hide or repair depressions left in the wood by overzealous sanding.

Apply a stain that matches the original color. Once dry, apply a protective coating.

Wood stain markers can be found in many stores; Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware stores, on-line stores, and paint stores. You may have to try several before finding a close match. Sorry, these are the only suggestions I can come up with.

https://www.ama  on/dp/B00OGO496C

Thank you for your help. I did sand it more but the shape and outline of battery and darker color are still there. I tried the marker pen but it really doesn't do much as far as covering the shape and darkness

Best Answer

Such a beautiful table color too! I am sorry that nothing has worked but thank you for letting us know as sometimes someone else will check in and just might have another solution.

I remember that I had a darker table with some deep scratches and my son used a product called "Old English" and it helped to hide the scratches but did not remove them. It is made for light/medium wood and also for dark wood. It is sold at Walmart type stores as well as on line. Maybe take a look.

https://www.ama  sh/dp/B0009Y6G7I

You will need vinegar and baking soda and microfiber cloths. Complete instructions are here. http://www.howt  ooden-furniture/

Already tried that.