Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

I am looking for tips on how to unstick dresser drawers. I have four drawers stuck in my little wooden dresser. How do I open them without damaging anything? What can I use to keep this from from happening again? They probably got damp and are tightly closed now.

Thanks.
Mary from Independence, KS

Answers:

Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

You can also use paraffin wax, which also works great for stuck clothing zippers. (09/25/2008)

By tlady

Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

I know I've had some drawers stick because of a dampness in the house, and then some stuck because the runner for the bottom of the drawer was chipped off a little. I have been able to fix the chipped off part, it is usually in the bottom of the drawer area. Glue it back on. Then you can take an old candle, or paraffin wax, and rub the runners really good on the bottom of the drawer. This really helps.

The wax also helps with dampness sticking. And a little tip, if one drawer is sticking, go ahead and wax all the runners to all of your drawers in that room, and prevent future problems. I've done that and avoided future problems. Plus I think the wax may help with getting dampness in the wood. Good luck. (09/27/2008)

By Glinda

Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

If the drawers are made of particle board or chipboard and that is one of the friction surfaces, expansion and sticky drawers are almost inevitable. It happened to me and my first inclination was to dump the thing. However, I spent a lot of time fitting plastic strips on the drawer friction edges, top and bottom. I had to sand off a fair bit of particle board to make room for the plastic, and now they work fine. Was it worth it? Only just. (12/28/2008)

By Graham

Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

A bar of soap works just as well as wax, doesn't stain the clothes in the drawer below the runner, and keeps the bugs away. (01/15/2009)

By catastrofy

I was getting ready to do a post about bar soap for stuck dresser drawers. Two great minds, huh?

And it smells nice. I have Lifebuoy scraps in my little tin where I keep my straight pins.

Close up image of an old fashioned dresser drawer
Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed
Dresser Drawer
Freshening Dresser Drawers
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎉
🎄