Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

What is the best drill bit to use to drill holes in sea shells? I am trying to make some Christmas decorations with the pile of sea shells I have accomulated.

Melody

Answers:

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Try masonry bits (08/31/2005)

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

A Dremel tool works well also because it's higher speed than your regular drill . Especially good for delicate shells; use a very small bit. (09/05/2005)

By tinatalker

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Hardware stores carry ceramic drill bits; for drilling holes in ceramic tile; special hardened steel. I just used one with my regular drill-driver to put holes in about half a dozen shells for my daughter. Might not last as long as a diamond bit; but lots cheaper. I dipped the bit in a bowl of water before and during use, just to avoid dust and keep bit from getting too hot. If the shell is slick, it's a little hard to get it started in one spot, it keeps drifting until it gets a good start; but otherwise it was very simple. Not too much pressure, you can crack the shell; but I didn't have any problem. (07/16/2006)

By Loneshtar

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

I tried masonry bits with a dremel tool on seashells; I don't recommend it... (12/24/2006)

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Clean Seashells
Cleaning Seashells
Taco Shells
Making Taco Shells
sea shell switch plate
Decorating With Sea Shells
🎉
🎄