Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

I have several beautiful polished and unpolished sea shells and I would like to put holes in them so I can macrame a lamp or a table decoration with them and I am having trouble finding a way to do this. Can you help with this and do you have any shell ideas and patterns?

Thanks, Sandy from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Answers:

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

How about some masking tape down first and mark the spot where you want to drill. You can drill holes in glass using a normal bit, just keep the speed down and using some turpentine on the tip for lubrication so drilling a shell shouldnt be a problem. The tape will stop the drill bit from wandering and should take some of the vibration away so the shell doesnt break. Perspex, being difficult to cut, has adhesive backing which does the same thing as the masking tape. To be sure that the shell doesnt break, start with a small bit and work up. Don't use pressure on the shell, allow the drill to do the work. Use some turpentine to lubricate the bit. I am sure that you will find the best method, hope those tips help.

By Brent

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells

Hi, use the smallest ceramic bit you can find.

By Denise

Drilling Holes In Sea Shells
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Clean Seashells
Cleaning Seashells
Taco Shells
Making Taco Shells
sea shell switch plate
Decorating With Sea Shells
🎄