JewelryRecycled Crafts

Drinking Straw Statement Necklace

Vote for this contest contender!

I save straws for two reasons: to save the earth and to make beautiful jewelry. I love this necklace because it's super easy to make and makes any plain outfit incredibly bold. I get so many compliments on it when I wear it out and no one knows they're upcycled scraps of plastic. Give it a try!

Total Time: 45 minutes and 1 day to dry

Yield: 1 necklace

1. Begin by cutting your straws into pieces. I mostly cut one in half then the remaining half again to make three pieces of different varying lengths.
  2. Lay out your cut straws in the order in which you'd like them to hang.
  3. Thread your needle and tie a knot at the end.
  4. Ad
  5. Begin poking the straws, one at time, very close to the top of the straws. In one side, out the other.
  6. Continue with the rest of the straws, pulling them towards the end of the string, but not all the way down.
  7. Ad
  8. Hang the necklace against your neck to get an idea of if you want to add more straws, take some off, or trim any of the pieces.
  9. Ad
  10. Now it's time to spray paint the necklace. I like to cut a slit on the sides of a cardboard box and hang the necklace across. It's great for even spraying and not getting your hands (or anything else) dirty.
  11. Make sure you get the paint all around. Because I used 3D silver spray, I added a clear coat on top to lock it in. Let dry for a day.
  12. Ad
  13. With the extra thread at the ends of the necklace, tie loops with double knots. Trim the excess thread.
  14. Take the ribbon and put it through both of the thread loops. This will act as your necklace closure. Try wearing it and checking in the mirror to see where you'd like it to hang on you in order to find out how much of the ribbon you need. Keep an extra length for tying the knot in the back.
  15. Ad
  16. Tie it on and rock this bold look!

That looks like something Nefertiti would wear.

As you have her lips and neck, it seems so terribly apropos!

Ha! They used to call me Nefertiti in school when we started studying Egyptian history and had a few of her statue's photos. Now that the internet is bigger and better, I actually can see several photos of her and see that resemblance! ;)