Drying Flowers in Microwave
Does anyone have the instructions for drying flowers in the microwave using kitty litter?
I'd recommend using the new dessicating litter. It really is the same as silica for flower drying. I don't know if clay litter would work. By using the microwave you can take several days off the drying process.
- Make sure to leave a 1" long stem on each flower so you can attach florist's wire to it later. Never put any wire or metal in your microwave.
- Put some kitty litter in a microwave-safe dish. Make a shallow spot in the middle just large enough for your flower to sit in, head side up if possible, if not, lay the flower on it's side.
- Sprinkle more kitty litter on top of your flower as gently as possible until it is completely covered.
- Cook the dish in the microwave for 60 seconds on high if you are drying thin-petaled flowers like pansies. For thicker petaled flowers, like roses, add another 60 seconds.
- The dish will be very hot so be careful. Let the dish and kitty litter cool down completely, before you carefully remove the flower. If it is not cooled completely the flower will still be limp and will lose it's shape.
Use a small, soft paint brush to gently brush off any leftover litter. (12/01/2000)
I used to work in a flower shop, and I've seen attempts at the "kitty litter method", I've never heard of using a microwave. If these flowers are something you truly want to last, ie. a wedding bouquet. Don't mess around with kitty litter or your microwave. If you are really serious about saving them as a keepsake you will want to pay the money to have it done professionally or do a little more research and do it yourself in a professional manner.(12/01/2000)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 1, 2016 at 5:34:20 PM on 10.0.2.48 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us