Dyed Hair Turned Yellow

Category Coloring
dyeing hair
Before you go spend a lot of money to repair the unacceptable results of your dye job, there are some ways you may be able to fix it yourself. This is a guide about dyed hair turned yellow.

I have been dying my hair blonde for awhile now. Lately it has been turning very brassy, orange/yellow. What can I use to get rid of it and make it a nice color?

wacky camper

I have no idea what your age is or skin color. Is your complexion fair or olive?

I have a light complexion and was using Miss Clairol 12G - Blondest Blonde and it started looking brassy on me.

So I went to BOCES and had my hair permed one week, went back the next week and had it colored by a cosmetology student. The teacher who is a licensed cosmetologist suggested that I change my color and the one that was used on my hair is known as Clariol Professional Gray Busters, 88N Light Neutral Blond.

I waited one week and went back and had my hair highlighted. The hair is pulled through a cap with a small hook, then bleach is applied to remove some of the color. My hair is darker at the roots and lighter blond on the ends and really love it. I'm 60 years old and it has made me look years younger.

Redkin makes a conditioner for blonde hair called Blonde Glam and if you buy the Pure Pearl (which has a purple color to it) it will condition your hair great and tone down the brass! Try it!

Girl! I have looked like a Barbie/Marilyn Monroe reject in the past due to the "yellow-gold" brass tones. I read from one of your posts about a Redkin product. She mentioned it having a purple color to it. Yep, in order to neutralize your "brassiness" you need a color with a blue/violet base. You can go to a Beauty Supply Store and you'll find a color in which you want in this category. You'll need 20 percent lift (bleach) by volume. Mix your color and lift into a paste and apply, follow the instructions. Don't be afraid to ask the clerk for information as well,, HOPEFULLY she will know what she's talking about. You can go to "Clarol Professional" website also. They have so much information to "Git er done!" lol Wish you the best!

John Frieda makes an Anti-Brass serum. You put it on before you wash your hair. I get mine from Walgreens.

Agreed - violet-colored conditioners help tone down brassiness, that's what i use. works great. Mine is from Rusk. found it here: http://www.exam  air-color-crisis

clairol makes a purple shampoo called "silver lights"...you can buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart or Pharma plus. Purple masks yellow.

I always get my hair highlighted (half a head) and for the 2nd time now, only my bangs turned yellow. Can somebody tell me why this is happening? I have to go back now and she will put a toner on it.

By Cheryl K.

Anonymous

It's difficult to give you a 100% accurate answer because I don't know what kind of color is being used, what your hair color is or whether it's a foil/weave highlight or a cap highlight. If it's yellow or gold that usually means the color has not been on long enough to complete the color lifting process or the stylist isn't choosing the correct color.

Could be wrong but I'll venture to bet the color is being placed on the bangs last. Also, sometimes a second higher lift color needs to be used on the resistant areas.

I agree with the previous answer. I am a cosmetologist, and that is the first thing I thought too. If you are put under a dryer, you might be keeping your bangs down, (while reading) and they aren't getting warmed up as much as the rest of your head.