Dyeing Carpet

I would like to know what you could use to dye a carpet? Thanks.

Dying Carpet

Dyeing carpet is quite common. Some people are very happy with the results, others not so enthused. It's cheaper than buying a new carpet, plus you don't end up with those horrible chemical odors, such as those emitted by new carpeting. (03/20/2009)

By WildIrish

Dying Carpet

Not a good idea to do yourself. Hire a professional who has training and experience and if they mess up they are the ones held responsible for fixing or replacing the carpet. Get bids from a few contractors and ask for contact info from previous customers.

It may well be that having your carpet dyed will only save a little money. Go to a few carpet warehouses and ask to look at their remnant carpets (usually discontinued remains which they sell very inexpensively to get them out of their warehouse space). I was able to have one 1000 square foot level of a previous home done with remnant and it saved a huge amount of money. (03/22/2009)

By Deeli

Dying Carpet

We purchased a new-to-us-house. The carpet was nearly new, but was dirty in the traffic areas. Before we moved in, we had a professional carpet cleaning company come in to clean the carpet.

However, some of the heavy traffic areas still were looking pretty bad. They suggested to me that they could "dye" the carpeting, while they cleaned, and thus re-fresh the color.

I was so glad that we chose to do this. The carpet looked like it was brand new. And those heavy used areas, such as the stairs, and from the great room into the kitchen, really looked better. You couldn't tell those areas had been very dirty.

I can not remember what they charged for the dyeing, but it was really worth it. Call some of the larger carpet cleaners in your town, and ask them about doing this. I am afraid that it isn't something that is a DIY thing. Good luck.

By Barb in Tennessee

Dyeing Carpet
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet