Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel.

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

I don't know if what you should do can actually be done. I'll explain and leave the research to you.

Most any color you would use to bring your highlighted hair back to its original color would have a certain amount of lifting action. This would mean that while darkening your highlighted hair, it would lighten (at least to a slight degree) your natural hair.

In your case, the product you should use would have no lifting action and should be close to your virgin color, maybe one shade lighter. Its only visible effect would be the darkening of the highlighted hair. Finding the color without any lifting action may be a problem. I don't know as I haven't delved in hair color in a long time.

At one time, Clairol offered its regular line, Miss Clairol. It offered another line of colors, as well, Lady Clairol. The shades in both lines were near identical. The difference was, Miss Clairol had lifting action whereas Lady Clairol did not. I think the Lady Clairol line was discontinued decades, ago.

You could call around to see if any suppliers carry a line of colors without any lifting action. If you find such a line, you could then chose from that line, a color closest to, but one shade lighter than your natural color.

If the color (produced by the camera) in the second picture is pretty much the same as it appears in real life, I wouldn't change it for all the tea in China. It is very nice. As for the grey hair that suddenly appeared...I don't think you will find a logical explanation to that mystery.

I did a bit of research. Clairol does have a line of no lift colors (and has had for years. I had forgotten about it). The line is called Second Nature. I couldn't find a decent color chart, though. Sally's is bound to have one.

Anonymous

This is exactly what I wanted my hair like the second picture it's really lovely. Went to hairdressers 3 days ago for caramels and just a few blonde highlights, but omg my hair wasn't what I'd hoped for it is now very light pale blonde :( I looked very washed out had a shock when woke up in the morning, it wasn't me at all. Want my hair back to its natural dark brown, don't know whether to put a colour on myself or go back to hairdressers for them to sort out, uncanny reading this!