ColoringHair Tips

Dyeing Hair Dark Blue

I recently decided to dye my hair dark blue. I have naturally dark brown hair and used a bleach kit to lighten it. After the color was a light yellow I used 'After Midnight' blue by Manic Panic (darkest shade they have) and left it in for an hour. After rinsing I noticed my hair was uneven with the primary color of turquoise. It is very shiny and vibrant, but not what I wanted. Any suggestions for how to get the dark blue without spending a fortune in products or at the salon?

First, let me say that if you put any more dark, permanent hair color on your hair, it will lose the shine and vibrancy it now has.

I think I know the color you want. From a distance, it appears black. Closer, it appears blue black, and when sunlight or other strong light shines through it, it clearly is a dark translucent blue, not black at all.

I have achieved this color. It is beautiful but not as stable as those achieved by using regular color. As a matter of fact, I don't know of a permanent, regular color that will give you this effect.

There is one problem. That is, finding the products that will give you this color and effect. Clairol made three products it no longer makes. They are all drabbers and not regular colors. They are meant to be used with other colors to drab them.

Ermine and Starlight. These came in 2 oz. bottles. Starlight was more concentrated and should be you first choice.

Silver Drops. This was a highly concentrated drabber and came in a half ounce? bottle.

The formula would be:

2 oz. Starlight

2 oz. 20 volume peroxide

one entire bottle Silver Drops.

The mixture would be left on the hair for its full development time of 45 minutes.

Good luck with finding these products. I did see a bottle of Silver Drops on eBay. It dated back to the 60s. If it has not been opened, it should still be good.

I was about twenty when I colored my hair with this formula. My very thick wavy hair was so beautiful, it was hard to stop looking at it in the mirror.

Does this color come anywhere close to what you want?

Sorry. It said the picture uploaded.