Dyeing a Synthetic Dress

I am the mother of the bride. I recently bought a light teal colored dress. It's thin material and is double layered; the under layer is a solid material the top is a lacey type; 90% nylon, 10% spandex, and a 100% polyester. Can I dye it a dark blue and if so how?

RIT carries a line of polyester dye. They're available at most drugstores and Amazon

I would snip a piece from the hem or seam and try that before I dyed the whole dress.

Before dyeing a garment, I always ask myself this question - what will I do if it is ruined? Or is a totally different color than I wanted? If you feel that it will be alright with "okay" to either question then maybe you can try some of the methods suggested.

Polyester is very unpredictable and does usually dye well even with dye "made" for poly. I am assuming this is a one piece dress which means the dye will have to be for polyester, nylon and spandex. Many dyes require heat at some point and that may be a problem with these materials.

Have you thought about taking your dress to an upscale dry cleaners and ask their opinion and price - IF - they will consider doing it. I do not believe they will and if they do, they will not give you any kind of guarantee.

i assume you cannot return the dress but maybe you can try one method and if it does not turn out to suit you - maybe a new dark blue dress is in order?