Easy Potato Soup Recipes

Category Potato
Bowl of potato soups surrounded by potatoes
Homemade potato soup is probably one of the easiest and fastest soups to prepare. This page contains easy potato soup recipes.

It finally turned a little cool here in south Texas with the much needed rain that came and stayed all weekend.

I had a taste for some old fashioned potato soup, the kind that my mother made. I think it was time I wrote it down. I'm not getting any younger and the old memory could fade at any time. LOL! This is it and even right down to the bacon grease.

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
  • 4 medium potatoes, quartered
  • 3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 Tbsp. bacon grease from the cooked bacon, it gives additional flavor (optional)
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 3 cups of milk
  • cubed cooked ham (optional)
  • shredded cheese (optional)
  • hunk of dark bread or any kind of chunky bread

Directions:

Saute onion and bacon in margarine and optional bacon grease. When sauteed add the flour, stir and set aside. Cook the carrots and potatoes together in enough water to just cover potatoes. Add pinch of salt and cook until tender. About 20 minutes.

When potatoes and carrots are tender, pour 1 cup of water into a measuring cup and discard any left in the pot. Pour the 1 cup back into pot and add 3 cups of milk and the sauteed ingredients into the pot. Add the chicken bouillon granules and optional ham. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese.

Take that bowl and that hunk of bread and enjoy. Umm! Good old fashioned comfort food. Your grandma would be proud.

Servings: about 4-6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hours

Source: my German mother

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

My husband wanted potato soup one night for dinner and I thought I had enough potatoes because I always make things from scratch, discovering that I didn't and we live 30 miles from the nearest store and I couldn't justify going to town for a bag of potatoes. Anyway, I searched the cupboards and found I had some instant potatoes.

So, I cooked the potatoes (4), mashed them till they were in little chunks, added some milk and water and then slowly added the instant potatoes and then seasonings. My husband loved these. They had the chunks of potatoes he likes and the creamy potatoes too. Plus it was much easier to make and didn't take long. Yum!

By RoseMary B.

Answers:

Easy Potato Soup

Instant potatoes can be added to many cream type soups for added body and flavor. When I make potato soup, I mash the cooked potatoes slighty with a masher right in the pan to make smaller pieces. I have been adding peas to the potato soup in an effort to serve more veggies. Cheese can be added as well. Also, I sometimes use non-dairy creamer for a richer taste, or, evaporated milk. (04/08/2005)

By Pat

Easy Potato Soup

Easy and Lowfat -

Spray pan with non stick cooking spray and heat potatoes on medium until thawed, add chicken broth and country gravy mix. I also add chopped carrots and celery sometimes. (12/12/2005)

By Mia

Does anyone have an easy potato soup recipe?

Nicholas from Salinas, CA

Answers:

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I'm a mom of six kids, half in college and half home in Jr high and High school.
They request my potato soup on cold days.

In a large soup pot, melt 1/2 stick of butter or 2 tsp. Olive oil. Meanwhile, chop into 1/2 inch dice a large onion and 3-4 stalks of celery. Cook over med heat until the celery and onions are translucent. Meanwhile, peel and dice 4-6 potatoes (depending on the size of your crowd). I like to keep some of the skin on for flavor and the 'rustic' look of the soup. In the pot, bring to boil 2-3 cups water,, add chicken buillon according to the amount of water. Add potatoes, cook till done. Add 2-3 cups milk, I like to use at least 2 cups of milk made from dry milk, then finish with the fresh. Add to soup, season to taste. Bring to steaming, almost to boil. Enjoy! (The amounts in this recipe are all approximate, that's how I cook, adding what i have or feel like. Adjust the amounts to your needs. :O)

a great flavor in this soup is to add a nice tablespoon of mustard to the pot with the milk, whisk in, your choice! I've also added parsley. We also like to put shredded or diced cheese on top of the soup. (02/29/2008)

By KLJohn

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

My family has made this potato soup for years. Peel 10 potatoes and dice, put them in a large pot with 10 cups of water or more. Dice one onion and some celery to taste then put that in the pot too. Boil until everything is done. Add 2 cups of milk. In a cup, 3t. corn starch and 4t water, mix, add to the pot and stir, this thickens it. Turn off heat and add salt and pepper to taste. When you serve have a bowl of shredded colby cheese. This is easy and fast and tastes wonderful. (02/29/2008)

By speeler

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

This soup is so good you can eat it like fondue, so be sure to have some good bread with it. Martha Stewart recently did a similar one, without the secret ingredient. Chop a large onion, several carrots, and 6-10 potatoes. Saute these in olive oil. You can also add cauliflower and any squash you have. Then add water or chicken broth to cover and cook till soft.

If you want to add some chicken that's good too. When done, remove chicken and debone. Then add...the secret ingredient. 8 oz brick of reduced-fat cream cheese. Puree the soup with immersion blender (or regular blender).

Put the cut-up chicken back in, if you have it. Don't puree the chicken. This is the only dish I love to eat even three days in a row. I've never had anyone not absolutely love it. (02/29/2008)

By Jeneene

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I learned this recipe from a resident of an assisted living facility and I tweaked it a bit. This is always a big hit with my family. Peel and dice about 8 potatoes and add about a half cup of chopped onions. Just barely cover with water and cook until the potatoes are tender but still a little firm. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of evaporated skim milk and stir well. Turn the heat down to a simmer and heat through. Then I add about a cup of cheese. You can use any cheese you like but it's especially good with hot pepper jack cheese. I toss in about a cup of diced precooked ham (usually from leftovers) and add some black pepper and chives and simmer for about 5 more minutes. I rarely have any left for a second day but if I do, it's even better than on the first day. (03/01/2008)

By binkylou

Baked Potato Soup

This is super easy and delicious!

Melt butter in lg saucepan. Add onion; stir occasionally til tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Dice remaining potato and skin; add to soup. Heat through. Tastes cheesy, even though there is no cheese in it. My family loves it. (03/03/2008)

By kflocey

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I made some potato soup this past week. I cut about 4 potatoes into diced pieces. Put in pan with water and bring to a boil and cook till soft...but; not mushy. In another pan I saute chopped celery, and onion in a small amount of butter. Stir constantly. Then I added some flour and mixed together. To this add some milk to make like a gravy, but it is the base of the soup.

Once the potatoes are done. Drain and add to the base mix. I sometimes add some of the water off the potatoes because it is full of vitamins., and it thickens the soup. I then add some cheese sauce to it. Making it like cheesy potato soup. When served in bowls I add some real bacon bits and sprinkle with shredded cheese of my choice. This is really good. Hope you enjoy. (03/03/2008)

By Debbie

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

Buy plain frozen hash browns. Put them into a pan. Add water to cover lus about an inch or so. You might need to add a little more once it fully begins to cook. Add a whole onion- or cut it up if you'd prefer. Cook several hours, add a large dollop of butter. I like to mix mine with milk or half and half when I serve it. Best tasting, easiest soup to prepare. (03/03/2008)

By Patti

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

My recipe is similar except I mix a can of condensed milk with enough water to cover the boiling potatoes, celery and onions. I also add Velveta cheese at the end. I add slices to very hot soup and stir.

If your soup is not thick enough, use the flakes or buds for fake mashed potatoes, a little at a time to thicken. (03/03/2008)

By nancycorinne

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

My mom's recipe was very uncomplicated. Dice a medium onion and chop up as many celery leaves and ends as you have. I save them up in a baggie. Use the leaves and ends so the stalks can be used for veggie trays or eat with peanut butter! Add one large or two small bay leaves and simmer just covered with water until the celery is tender. Add about a third of a cup of milk or cream, remove bay leaves and serve. I like to add salt, pepper and a pat of butter to my mug of soup at serving time. If you cook it with pepper in it the pepper concentrates. Be careful there. I swear by bay leaves in my potato soup though. (03/03/2008)

By Leigh Ann

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

Leigh Ann, I don't see any potatoes in your potato soup? I think any potato soup is potatoes (leftover mashed will do), onions, and milk. That the basic. Then add any extras that you prefer (cheese, celery,etc). (03/03/2008)

By Pam2cats

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I use non-drairy creamer. I mix it with hot water, put in a few potatoes that I have boiled, some cubed ham, and use instant mashed potatoes to thicken the soup. You need to stir the left overs before you reheat it as it does seperate. (03/03/2008)

By BeccaL

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

My recipe is similar to binkylou's with one exception. I boil my potatoes in chicken broth instead of water, and I change the cream of soup to whatever my taste is at the time, ie...chicken, celery, mushroom (all very good). My family loves it, thick and creamy. (03/04/2008)

By jmz2005

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

look at cooks.com they have wonderful recipies to look at... (03/04/2008)

By ang

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

All of the above are great and you might want to add my favorite "secret" ingredient: a good handful of dry noodles to the pot after you've cooked the potatoes. Adds a little heft to the soup.--Jeanne from Colorado (03/04/2008)

By jeanne01

Looking for an Easy Potato Soup Recipe

I made a very easy potato soup last night for dinner. I started with two leeks, halved and chopped (I like to soak the leeks for a minute to get the grit off after I chop them). I sauteed them with about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil until soft. Then I added in about a quart of chicken broth, 4 cubed potatoes and some leftover instant mashed potatoes. I just seasoned with salt and pepper but other spices would have been good too. I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 30 minutes.

The potatoes were still in one piece but would about melt in your mouth and the instant potatoes made a nice creamy sauce. I had made the chicken stock earlier in the week from a roast chicken so it was a very frugal meal too. We had it for dinner with a salad and it made enough for leftovers too. (03/04/2008)

By jess