Eating After Having Teeth Extracted

I just got four teeth pulled out, two on the bottom and two on the top. Can I eat food like pie and chicken etc.?

If the teeth pulled are on the same side of your mouth, you can eat foods cut in small pieces.

If they are on both sides of your mouth, you may want to stick with soft foods and/or food cut into very small pieces until your mouth heals.

If you feel comfortable you could, but I would recommend eating soft foods for a day or two.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled and it was bleeding afterwards for a few hours. I did not want to further irritate the area so I ate soft foods like soups, yogurt, smoothies and it was recommended by the surgeon.

Did you ask the doctor/dentist/surgeon what you could eat and can't? Typically you are given a chart and explanation of what to do/not to do.

He just said not to eat hard foods..

Anonymous

I would suggest you stay with soups, applesauce, yogurt, protein shakes, soft food in general until your gums heal. You probably have stitches in your gums and you don't want the food to get under them or into the opening. Be sure to rinse your mouth with salt water after eating or drinking anything. You will be surprised at how quickly your gums will heal and then you can have all the pie and chicken you want. Been there.

What did the dentist tell you? They send you home with instructions. Normally is no straws and clear soft foods only for 24-48 hours. Do you have to go back to get stitches out? You can not eat food that has particles that can get into the pockets. With my wisdom teeth I was told soft foods only for the first 3 days and to rinse my mouth and not brush. You need to be contacting your dentist. If you are on blood thinners, your instructions are different yet.

When I had 9 teeth pulled and new dentures put in in one day, I was shaking I was so hungry but couldn't eat for a day or two.

I invented Instant Potato Soup: Just put a bit of extra water or better yet, broth or milk in a package of Idahoan Instant Potatoes and cook. You can drink it use a spoon but DON'T use a straw. With some butter and salt/pepper it's comfort food till you can have the real thing.

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled this summer. It's the worst, isn't it?!! Stick with things like broth, Jello, mashed potatoes, and ice cream for a few days. Don't eat anything steaming hot because it might dissolve the scabs that form to help the sockets heal. If that happens, you can get what they call dry socket--an infection that makes the healing process even more uncomfortable.

After a little while, try macaroni and cheese and the chunkier soups. I had to wait a week or so before I could eat anything else (like bread, chicken, etc.) without pain. Also, you will want to avoid chips and crackers-- unless you soften them in soup--for a few weeks until your mouth heals up.

To lessen any bleeding, you can bite down over a teabag, one side at a time, for about 10 minutes. This works because of the tannin, so I'd recommend black tea. Also, after some time your dentist might give you a type of syringe you fill with water to clean food out of your teeth. This might seem gross, but trust me, the squirty thing is your friend!

Keep your chin up and feel better soon!

I am no stranger to dental discomfort and have had a few teeth pulled. You will need to stick to liquids for at least a day. Milkshakes are perfect, and in combination with your pain med should help you feel much better!

I would endure waiting the few days because eating solids can aggravate your condition and prolong healing.

just had 5 bottom teeth out today, so sore now, but sure in couple of days will feel much better.