Edging Your Lawn

Category Lawn
Photo of a lawn edger.
Using the best tools can help save you time when trimming the edges of your lawn. This guide is about edging your lawn.

To save time and money trimming and edging the grass along your sidewalks and driveway (and you will likely throw away the old trimmer), simply drop one side of the the wheels on your walk behind lawnmower mower all the way down until that side barely touches the solid surface of your sidewalk/driveway. Keep the high side in the grass when you mow. Follow the edge as you mow.

This will provide a clean cut and tapered edge that looks as nice as anything a string cutter or edger can do and it's quick! Remember to reset the wheels when you are done. If your grass is 3 inches high you may need to do this in two cuts over two mowings, the first lowering being only halfway down in order not to scalp the lawn. I always edge this way before cutting and the bag on my mower even cleans up the cuttings.

By Jim from Auburn, OH

After it rains a good rain, try edging. It is a whole lot easier for the shovel to go in and a heck of a lot easier to lift the excess out of the ground.

By Nancy from Spokane, WA

Any suggestions on how I can edge my flower beds with little or no expense? I want something that will be easy to mow around instead of having to weed eat around all flower beds. Thanks!

This is what i did. When i was at the dump the demo site there -- was some brick & you could just take them. I put them around the flower bed or were ever you wanted them & i at first pulled the grass or weeds around it, so now it is just bear ground around it. It is better then buying them

I have white marble stones around the house instead of edgeing. I use plain old morton salt, just pour a little on the grass and wet it down leave it alone. It kills the weed,grass and whatever you need. When you see a weed give it some salt.

GET FREE BRICKS WHEREVER YOU CAN. REMOVE SOME SOIL AT THE EDGE OF YOUR BEDS AND LAY BRICKS FLAT END TO END. YOUR MOWER WHEELS CAN RIDE OVER THEM.JUST REMEMBER TO HAVE CLIPPINGS SHOOT AWAY FROM BEDS.

AS GRASS CLIPPINGS CAN ROOT IN YOUR FLOWER BEDS.

IT'S WORTH THE ONETIME SET UP WHICH MAY TAKE SOME TIME.

ADDED TIP,I ALSO USE WEED N FEED BY SCOTTS IN MY GARDENS AND BEDS BEFORE WEEDS COME UP. RESULT IS WEED FREE AGRDEN AND BEDS FOR MOST OF SEASON. IT ALSO FEEDS THE PLANTS.

DEE

The salt will kill the soil where applied and plants cannot grow there.

I mow a very large lawn. By the time I am done I am having a hard time getting to the edging around fence, house, and driveway. I have an electric edger and it is a hassle to even get it to the far-off places that need edged.

Can anyone recommend an edger that is easy to use? I am willing to spend some money on this, because I don't want to hire someone else to take care of my lawn. What is a good brand of edger that isn't difficult to change the line on and can take on a large yard?

By SusannL from St. Cloud, FL

Edging And Trimming Your Lawn

Tips for edging your lawn without using gas powered machinery. Post your own here.

Electric Weed Eater

You could use an Electric Weed Eater to do your trim work. Use a 50' to 100' Outdoor Power Cord. Or get a neighborhood boy that needs some spending money.

By starlight2007

Manual Edging Blade

They make, or used to make a manual device that looked like a lawnmower wheel edged up to a saw blade (actually, more like a seamstresses perforator) on a stick. You'd roll the wheel along the edge and the overhanging blade would cut the "edge" you wanted. It takes a fair amount of elbow-grease and muscle power to use, but they do exist.

I'm not sure if you could make your own or not but if you give it a try. The blade part of it went about an inch or so past the edge of the wheel.

Best of luck!

By Qryztufre

Plant A Border

You might consider just pulling up/digging, a foot or two at a time, a 12-14" wide swath of sod, planting small evergreens, such as dwarf boxwood, that will naturally shade the edge, requiring almost no care. You can create your own mulch from brown paper grocery sacks, cardboard, or old newspapers covered with soil around each plant, adjoining the patio edge.

If your budget is as tight as mine, I'd consider finding some individual plant sale which has 4-6" young cheap evergreen plants for cheap ($.50-$1.00 each or less. Plant them about 2 feet apart and hand trim them only once a year with scissors, if you prefer, saving the trimmings for mulching neatly under them to retain moisture. It will take a year or two to get them going well, but worth the wait if you plant towards the outer edge of the bed to allow for growth. They provide their own root shade. Many folks like Dark green Lirope (reg. or dwarf "Monkey"grass) because it is so easy to grow and outlines well. However, it can be and is usually invasive requiring thinning after a year or two, depending upon the size of the plant. Our local newspaper offers freebies for the pickup. Yours may offer this, too.

I am striving to have a more maintenance free yard. Any sort of mechanical equipment seems more than I can handle at my age now, and I certainly cannot afford lawn care or to pay anyone for regular help. God bless and help you.

By Lynda

Feel free to post your ideas below.