Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

Bargain Eggs! At 79 cents a dozen, I had to stock up, and bought 4 dozen. They are best used by July 23. That is about a month away, but how long after that are they still safe to eat? I'd like to stock up on more if I can go longer. Help please. I love and respect this site.

Signaler from Bellefontaine, OH

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

I have used them as much as a month after the sell by date with no problem. (02/28/2007)

By stellajean66

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

Not sure how this works with the "sell by date", but I cut out an article from Consumer Reports that says as long as you buy federally graded eggs before the expiration date, you should be able to safely use them 3 to 5 weeks after the expiration date. It says eggs are the exception to the rule that they must be used by the expiration date. You can check out their website at

By Garnetta

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

I have been cooking for 40 years and I have gone as long as 5 weeks with no difference in taste or texture. I guess it's safe, since I'm still alive and kicking. Also, I've never had eggs to turn green, no matter how old they are. (02/28/2007)

By Brenda

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

To check if eggs are still fresh enough to use, fill a large pot with lots of water and place the eggs in it. If any float throw them out, any that stand on their ends, but still touch the bottom of the pot are OK to use. The freshest eggs will sit on the bottom on their sides. (02/28/2007)

By Donna

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

I always make certain that before I use any eggs in or out of date I do the look, smell, and see test by always breaking your egg into a cup. You won't go wrong with this tip. Good when frying, poaching, scrambling, etc. (02/28/2007)

By John

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

I was raised on a farm and we never refrigerated our eggs and kept them as long as needed in a wooden box in the pantry. Some were probably there well over a month. It all depended on how well the chickens were laying. Never found a rotten one (03/01/2007)

By duckie43

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

According to the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service:

1. If eggs have a "use by" or "expiration" date, try to use them before then, though they may be good for a while afterward.
  2. Refrigerated eggs are good 3-5 weeks after the "sell by" date. (06/06/2008)

By Stephen

By Sappie

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

I have raised chickens all my life, always used my own eggs. I have had eggs keep 4 months just fine, longer if kept in a fridge, Just crack the egg, if it's all dried up then toss it. If it still smells and looks good I eat it. Done this all my life. Still doing it today.

If an egg has a hairline crack it won't keep very long, Usually dries up in the shell. If it still looks like an egg, and isn't rotten or dried up then eat it. It won't hurt you. I'm living proof of that.

I still raise my own chickens/eggs today. My fridge has been full of eggs for months now, I have dozens on my side board, and stuffed in my cupboards. Very rarely do I find a bad one.

By Chicklet

RE: Eggs After Their

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas