Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

The four outlets in one room have stopped working. The related breaker did not trip. When I turn it off and on again, nothing happens. Should I replace the breaker?

By Paul from Campobello, SC

Answers:

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

It could be your breaker is bad. That is an unusual thing to happen but not impossible. If you know how to replace the breaker yourself that would be the cheapest way to find out if it is the breaker.

If you don't know what you're doing and have never done it before, call a friend or relative that knows how or get an electrician.

Just to be safe. (12/04/2010)

By Suntydt

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

Something else to consider. Is the circuit on a GFI ? There may be a ground fault outlet in that circuit. Is it on an outside wall ? Does it have a wall common with the garage? GFI outlets can be tested right at the outlet. They have a test button and a reset button on them. (12/05/2010)

By rygobus

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

I agree with rygobus. I had this happen to me and it was a GFI outlet that was the culprit. That is the first thing I would check. I had outlets from several different rooms that were on the same circuit, I reset the GFI outlet and they all worked. If that doesn't work, get an electrician. Don't put yourself in harms way with electricity. (12/26/2010)

By sleepygrandma

Man fixing and electrical outlet
Repairing an Electric Outlet
Electrical Outlet
Removing Paint From Electrical Outlets
Plug Outlet
Getting Plugs to Stay in Outlets
Electrical Outlet
Adding More Electrical Outlets to an Old Fuse Box
Electrical Outlet
Adding a New Electrical Outlet
🎉
🎄