English Muffins

This is a delicious bread that is great for sandwiches and breakfast. It is also the end of my quest for the Schlotzsky sandwich bread (this is what it was)!

• 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 4 cups white flour (if doing a whole wheat version, use 3 cups only)
  • 1 scant tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. coarse salt
  • cornmeal
  • butter for grilling, flour for kneading (very little), waxed paper

Mix starter, honey, and milk until smooth. Add flour a cup at a time, mixing with a spoon. You don't want a dough, you want it wet looking. Do not knead. Leave in the bowl, cover and wait until it has doubled. Time will vary based on elevation and temperature.

Stir down. Sprinkle the baking soda and coarse salt over dough and work in. Only add enough flour to roll out (the amount of flour you use matters - too much and you don't get the big air pockets that is the signature of this recipe). Knead it on a floured surface, only adding enough flour to keep it from sticking to the counter or your hands. You want it to spread out over the counter by itself when you leave it alone. Be gentle in kneading, keeping the bubbles in it. Roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out with a cup to get the English muffin shape. I've found it best to roll in sections, as the dough tends to want to pull back too thick while you're working.

Place each English muffin on waxed paper that has cornmeal on it, keeping space in between each one to double and not touch (or it will stick). Sprinkle tops with cornmeal, cover with more waxed paper, and leave until doubled/risen well. Time will vary based on elevation and temperature.

Heat griddle/skillet over low or medium low heat. (I recommend doing two skillets at a time). Put a little butter in the pan and immediately put an English muffin on top of it. Cook one side until done, about 4 minutes. You should see the air bubbles coming to the top. Flip and cook again. Do not redo a side, one time only. Cool on wire racks. (Important! Cooling on a plate or stacked makes them a little doughy.)

Servings: 13
Time:45 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: I improved on a recipe from www.sourdoughhome.com

By Bonnie from Spokane, WA

English Muffins

Thank you for this recipe. I have some starter that needs to be used tomorrow and my children love English Muffins! (02/17/2011)

By MissEM

English Muffins

I'm interested in your recipe for the sour dough starter if you don't mind sharing it. TIA

SuziQ 9 (02/19/2011)

By suziq9

English Muffins

@suziq9 I used the sourdoughhome.com's starter primer. I chose to do the writer's own method (he mentioned several ways), using the 1/4 cup as the beginning method. (02/20/2011)

By Davidicdancer

English Muffins
Homemade English Muffin Recipes
Two English Bulldogs, one sitting one laying down.
English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos
English Muffin Pizza Recipes
English Muffin Pizza Recipes
English Ivy Leaf
Growing English Ivy
Recipe Using English Muffins
Recipes Using English Muffins