English Toffee Recipes

Category Candies
English Toffees
Delicious confections whether chewy or hard can be made from butter and sugar. This page contains English toffee recipes.

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter (do not substitute)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped almonds
  • 4 Hershey bars (1oz. size)

Directions

Cook butter, sugar, water and vanilla over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown. Put 1/3 cup almonds on a buttered 9x9 inch pan. Pour "batter" on top of nuts. Place Hershey bars on top. Spread evenly when chocolate softens. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 cup almonds. When completely cool break into pieces.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 cup nuts (coarsely chopped)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup crushed vanilla wafers

Directions

Sift the powdered sugar, cocoa and salt together. Add butter and cream with sugar and cocoa. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well. Add nuts and vanilla. Beat egg whites stiff but not dry and fold into other mixture. Spread 2/3 of vanilla wafer crumbs in bottom of buttered 8x8 inch pan. Pour in mixture. Put rest of crumbs on top. Put in refrigerator to set. Keeps well. Serves 6.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
  • 1 box vanilla wafers, finely crushed
  • 1 cup blanched almonds, slivered and toasted
  • whipping cream

Directions

Cream butter; gradually add powdered sugar. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate and vanilla. Fold in egg whites and whipped cream. Spread half of vanilla wafers in 10x10 inch pan. Pour chocolate mixture over wafers. Mix almonds with remaining vanilla wafer crumbs and sprinkle on top. Refrigerate overnight. Cut in squares and top with whipped cream.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 Hershey bars
  • Pecans, chopped

Directions

Boil sugar, butter, water and salt for 15 minutes to a hard crack (290 degrees F) stage. Pour into buttered pan. Put Hershey bars in top and as they melt spread evenly over the surface. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top. Chill until hard. Makes 24 bars.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I am looking for an English Toffee made with saltine crackers and sweetened condensed milk.

CB from Phoenix, AZ

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found this. Hope it helps!

INGREDIENTS

4 ounces saltine crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).

Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.

In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.

Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

I found this. Hope it helps!

INGREDIENTS

4 ounces saltine crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

recipezaar.com has some very good recipes. I got this one from allrecipies.com. They have other versions also. Have fun making this ! ! !

INGREDIENTS

1 (10 ounce) package saltine crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup slivered almonds

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet. Line baking sheet with saltine crackers, edges touching.

In a medium saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar and cook until mixture reaches 235 degrees F (112 degrees C) or a small amount of mixture dropped into cold water forms a small ball that flattens when placed on a flat surface. Pour mixture over crackers and spread evenly.

Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot toffee. When chips turn glossy, spread evenly with spatula. Sprinkle with almonds. Freeze 20 minutes before serving.

Are you still interested in the toffee recipe? I see I am a year too late. I have a wonderful recipe with saltine crackers and sweetened condensed milk!! Email me at katrina.garland AT yahoo.com if you are still interested.

How do I make toffee?

By Susan from Malaysia

I am originally from Waukegan, Illinois. I am looking for the for "English toffee" served in the middle schools during the 60s and 70s. It was easy to make and the recipe was given out in home economics class.

By Denver Bob

I am looking for Aunt Nancy's Toffee candy recipe.

Darlene from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Looking for a recipe for a dessert that was called "English Toffee". It was served in our school cafeteria in Waukegan, IL. and we also made it in our home economics class. It was very rich, had graham cracker crust and a chocolate filling of some sort, but I can't remember what other ingredients and have lost the recipe for it. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Tammy from Missouri

Answers:

English Toffee Recipe

English Cream Toffee Recipe

I've had this for a while, cant remember where I got it other than a candy site. Just made it again and it is fantastic! I also add in chocolate chips when it is poured out on the sheet and setting up well. Just be careful about how long you cook it. Make sure that you stir it continuously, but not too fast either! Good Luck.

Bring to boil in heavy pot (MEDIUM Heat). Boil hard, stirring constantly until toffee threads in cold water (about 20 minutes). Pour onto buttered baking sheet. Cool, turn sheet upside down and break into pieces. Nuts may be added to pan before toffee is poured. (10/29/2006)

By

English Toffee Recipe

Does this look familiar?

http://southernfood.about.com/od/browniesbars/r/blbb565.htm (10/30/2006)

By mef1957

English Toffee Recipe

No, the one from the link sounds good but that isn't it. This one had Baker`s chocolate in it I am almost sure, it had a very creamy consistency, I do remember you put in the fridge to set it up. I also don't remember nuts being in it, so really not sure why they called it English Toffee. For the "crunch" I think there was just the crumbled up graham cracker crust mix on the top. (10/31/2006)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

Is the recipe from a Pillsbury Cook Off? If so, I think this is it. Only thing, this one uses nuts on top. If not, I'll keep looking for you as I have numerous cookbooks to page through :)

ENGLISH TOFFEE BARS

Ingredients :

Preparation :

In a foil-lined 13x9 inch cake pan (grease the foil with butter), arrange the graham crackers. Entire bottom of pan must be covered with graham crackers, you might have to break to make an even fit. In medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over graham crackers. Bake in 400
degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips and as soon as the chips are soft, spread over the top of the cracker crust. Sprinkle with nuts. Chill at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Break into pieces of all shapes and sizes (like English toffee candy). Store in refrigerator. These freeze nicely. Yield: at least 24 bits and pieces.
(11/01/2006)

By SweetCali40

English Toffee Recipe

These recipes all sound very good but what I am looking for was a dessert, almost had a mousse-like consistency. Sort of truffle tasting if that makes sense, was cut into slices and served cold. (11/01/2006)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

HMM, you use a mixture of Imperial measurements and Metric. what is 1/2 lb? is that pound? Could you let us know what that is in Metric? thanks. Beats me why the U.S.A doesn't convert to metric like the rest of the world.

Editor's Note: Yes, that is a half a pound. It would be 226 grams. We've been working on online conversion tables but so far haven't finished them. As for why? Who knows? (03/25/2007)

By Paula

English Toffee Recipe

I think I have the recipe you need.

Mix and place 2/3 in 9x13 inch pan

For the filling:

Beat with mixer and then add

Beat for about 5 minutes. Pour into pan and top with remaining graham crackers. (09/06/2007)

By Diana from Indiana

English Toffee Recipe

Thank-you Diana, that is pretty close I think. But just wondering, no sugar in it? And does it go by a different name? (09/06/2007)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

Hey Tammy from Missouri, I don't have the recipe right now but my sister has it . We went to Martinsville High School in Martinsville Indiana. She is supposed to send it to me as soon as I get it I will send it to you. I remember it well. We used to be so excited to buy our lunch on the day they served it! Carol from Florida. (10/04/2008)

By Carol

English Toffee Recipe

I'm from Waukegan too, and remember this yummy dessert from the school cafeteria and home ec class. Please post the recipe if you find it. I've been searching for this one for awhile. (10/15/2008)

By Nancy

English Toffee Recipe

I also went to Martinsville Schools in Martinsville, IN and have been looking for this recipe. If anyone has found it, PLEASE post it. The one from Diana of Indiana looks like it may be it, is it? (10/30/2008)

By Mary S.

English Toffee Recipe

I have been looking all over for this recipe from school as well- these were always my favorites. Please let me know when you have it available! Thank you so much. (11/30/2008)

By Erin E.

English Toffee Recipe

I also went to school in Martinsville, or Brooklyn IN. My sister and I had looked for this for years. I'm so excited to see others looking! lol I'll have to add the recipe that I found when I get home and compare it to the ones on here. Good Luck! (02/25/2009)

By MARILEE

I am looking for a recipe for English toffee.

By Denver Bob from CO

Answers:

Old English Nut Toffee

• 1 lb. butter
  • 1 lb. sugar
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds (leave skins on)
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a 3 qt heavy saucepan. Heat slowly to boiling point and boil gently until mixture reaches 305 degrees F (hard crack stage) or until it is a golden brown color. Stir constantly while candy is cooking. When required temp is reached, pour out on a well oiled marble slab or large baking sheet. Spread flat with an oiled knife. Let stand several min, loosen bottom and mark into squares. Then, if desired, candy may be covered with a thin layer of melted dipping chocolate. Then, sprinkle with additional nuts. When cool, carefully break into pieces. keep in a tightly covered container. The flavor improves if candy is allowed to mellow for several days. 80 pieces or 1 5/8 lbs.
This recipe is from an old cookbook called "Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking" 1947 (11/18/2009)

By Sharon Rose

English Toffee

Try About.com or Cooking.com they have more recipes than you can imagine. (11/18/2009)

By castleberrycc

English Toffee

This tastes just like English Toffee and is so easy to make.

Toffee Candy

• Cookie sheet with sides and covered in foil
  • 1 pkg of saltines
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 bag milk chocolate chips
  • chopped nuts (optional)
Put saltines on cookie sheet to cover the bottom in 1 layer. Melt butter and sugar in pan stirring constantly til caramelized about 10 min. Pour over crackers. Put in preheated oven 450 degrees F for 5 minutes.

Turn off oven and fix crackers so they lay flat. Pour 1 bag chocolate chips over top and spread evenly with knife. Sprinkle nuts over chocolate. Let cool. Refrigerate 8 hours, covered in foil. Break into pieces. (11/19/2009)

By soochatty

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. white Karo syrup
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 1 cup blanched toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1 bar milk chocolate
  • 1 cup blanched toasted almonds, finely cut

Directions

Melt butter; add sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook to 300 degrees watching carefully after thermometer reaches 280 degrees F. Quickly stir in coarsely chopped warm nuts; spread on ungreased warm non-stick pans; cool. Lift corners as it cools and pull out to make it thin. Turn out on wax paper; spread top with half of melted chocolate and finely chopped nuts. Chill in refrigerator to firm chocolate. Cover with waxed paper and invert. Spread other side with remaining chocolate and nuts. Chill. Break into pieces when cool.

By Robin from Washington, IA