My Frugal HolidayChristmas

Enjoying a Family Christmas

The Christmas of 2005 was the best I can remember. That's saying a lot since my Dad had just died, and Mom was dying! Since my two sisters and I had our own families, it had been a long time that ALL of us would go to Mom's for Christmas. Our dad had passed away a year ago. Adding to that, my mom was dying of "Lou Gerhig's disease."

To start with, all our children (my 3 daughters and 1 son, my sister's twin sons,and my other sister's 2 daughters) went to Mom's earlier that week and had a great day decorating her home for Christmas. Everyone was excited but nervous. "Would it be sad? Would we be up for this?"

I had this idea. I wrapped a box like a present and cut a whole on top, then covered it with a bow. Then I sat down and ripped paper into 5x6 inch pieces. I guess it was around 20 pieces. I scribbled a different question on each, folded it and tossed them in.

We all sat at the table after Christmas dinner and I sat the box down and said "Now we are going to play the "Family Game". Yea, they all looked at me cockeyed. Each question was engineered to bring up memories. "What is the sweetest memory you have of your grandparents?" was one. "If you could be a superhero, who would it be and why?" or "Who at this table is your hero the most?", "What was the best Christmas you recall", etc.

We all had so much tender moments, some with tears, some belly laughter, but EVERYONE played! My mom died in July. I still see her face all smiles and the candles shining.

By Shelli M. from Port Hueneme

Anonymous

What a very nice story and everyone enjoyed the memories and I'm sure even made some new ones.

BTW I grew up in Oxnard and used to go to Hueneme all the time!