Erasing Personal Information from a Shared Computer

How do erase all information stored on a hard drive? Our company computer is also used for personal use and I don't want all my bank and credit card info etc. to be available for the next person to be able to access.

IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

Answers:

Well there is really no way to erase it permanently from the hard drive. One thing you can do to help is to delete your history, cookies, etc. after you've used the computer. Depending on what versions of Windows you are running you'll click on Tools (up at the top of your Internet Explorer window), then Internet Options, and then choose to delete cookies, forms, etc. This will keep any info you've recently entered from being easily accessible. But once something is on the computer it's pretty much on the hard drive forever (although it would take a real expert to find it). I hope that helps! (06/04/2007)

By ImTrish

Would 'Window Washer ' help by Webroot?
Ebay has them inexpensively. Or would it wipe out everything? (06/04/2007)

By cookwie

If you have put information on a shared or company computer any half way decent computer forensics person can dig it out of a hard drive and use it.

Also if your company is of any size or values the information on it yours or theirs matters not- they will back up the data to a server every 24 hours or less. For the most part if you put infor on the hard drive someone with fair computer skills can get to it. If you have administrator rights and really want to kill the infor off, you can use a program called "Plow" or several others designed to basically wipe the HD. Of course then you have to reformat and frankly I doubt if everyone in your company has those rights. For security purposes usually only one person in an administration will have these rights. Your best hope is to not put private info on any computer you cannot control.

Good luck.
J2N
(06/06/2007)

By Jimmy2N

Well...I can control my computer at home and I was also worried about that one too. Should I ever get rid of it I don't want info floating around. (06/07/2007)

By IMAQT1962

cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Anti-Spyware
Running Anti-Spyware on Your Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🎄
🍂