Exercising Abdominal Muscles

Category Exercise
Woman Exercising Abdominal Muscles
Strengthening your core muscles will help flatten your stomach and help maintain better posture. This is a guide about exercising stomach muscles.

How can I lose the jiggle at the side of my stomach/abdomen area without doing the same old crunches and sit-ups all the time?

My best suggestion is to check out the Shape Magazine, Self magazine, and Fitness Magazine websites - there's lots of info there! Good Luck!!

Three things:

1. Start walking with your pelvis tucked more under you instead of arching your back so much.

2. Stand with your feet turned out, in a ballet first position, and do a squat or pliet, keeping your pelvis under you. This isn't extremely effective, as it primarily works your butt. It works, though.

3. Lay on your back and hold your legs perpendicular to the rest of your body, up in the air. Lift just your pelvis, trying to keep your legs from wavering. Repeat.

My personal trainer taught me this one:

Sit on a yoga mat, or at least a nice plush carpet. Roll back a little bit, balancing on your tailbone white slightly bending your knees and lift your legs. Your legs should be off the ground. Holding a ball with both hands rotate all the way to the left and touch the ball to the floor, then rotate all the way to the right and touch the ball to the floor. Continue doing this back and forth, 2 sets, 30 times (15 each side) per set. The more movement you get, the better ab workout (and yes this does all the muscles).You will feel this the next day, and it does take some pratice. When you get good with just a regular ball, weighted medicine balls work good to define the elusive six pack!

Good luck,

Christine

I saw on Rachel Ray one time that you can pull your stomach in and hold it there for 15 seconds. I try to do about 10 reps. It's supposed to work really well for tightening. I'm not sure about losing it though.

You cannot spot reduce. You must have a good exercise program and lose some weight. You'll see a reduction in your waist that way.

Try belly dancing movements from a belly dancing book or video. They are very effective.

You could try using a hula hoop.

Not the kiddie ones but the ones that are rather heavy.

I want an honest review of the Ab Rocket. Does it hold up to daily use; are the connecting parts durable; is the unit comfortable to sit in and use? Any information offered would be greatly appreciated. I am a 60 year old woman in need of some "core" toning and need neck support while exercising. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

By Susan from Albany, NY

Answers

Interested to hear if you DID in fact but the ab rocket and what were your results as I may be interested in purchasing as well.

How do you know you are engaging core muscles when exercising?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

If you are doing ab exercises, suck your belly button in and perform your reps - same with other exercises. Just be sure you are breathing correctly while exercising.