Extending Mascara

If you use water-based mascara (as opposed to water-proof), add a couple of drops of water to it when it gets near the end, or if it gets too dry. Close the top and shake the container, then use the brush to kind of stir it around. You should be able to get several more applications from the container now. This also works for water-based liquid eyeliner that has become too dry.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Editor's Note: There appears to be a lot of concern about this tip due to bacteria. As with all advice, contact a health professional to be sure. Here is another ThriftyFun post talking about this problem

Extending Mascara

I would be wary of this. Several health sites caution about adding water to mascara. Water contains bacteria that can be harmful to eyes, especially when it sits for awhile, as in a mascara tube. You only get one set of eyes! Cay from FL (06/17/2008)

By Exasperated

Extending Mascara

I wouldn't do it. The germ fighters in the mascara will only last so long. If you've used it up, then it's probably too old to use anymore.

Londa (06/17/2008)

By londa

Extending Mascara

The best thing I've found is to get a mug of boiling water and drop the sealed mascara tube in for 3 or 4 minutes. It liquefies what tiny bit may be left and makes it usable longer. No health worries :-) (06/21/2008)

By lisa lovely

Extending Mascara

If there's bacteria in water shouldn't we worry about washing our faces or taking showers? Just a thought. (04/05/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Extending Mascara

A female friend of mine saw a similar tip in a beauty magazine; however, the magazine suggested using saline solution such as you'd get for contacts. (04/05/2009)

By Mad Rabbit

Extending Mascara

I agree with the other people and say never to add anything to your mascara tube - talk about bacteria!

What I do is put my mascara tube next to my blow dryer for a few seconds to loosen up the mascara. Check it every few seconds because I've also gotten it too hot and bent the mascara tube!

good luck! (04/05/2009)

By metroplex

Open tube of mascara with brush prominent.
Saving Money on Mascara
Uses for Mascara Wands
Uses for Mascara Wands
charging electronics
Extending the Life of Cellphone and Computer Batteries
Removing Mascara
Mascara Tips and Tricks
Mascara Tips and Tricks