Extra Cleaning Charges for Vacation Rental Property

Category Legal
If your rental property is damaged by a renter beyond what the cleaning deposit will cover, it may be necessary to bill additional cleaning charges. This is a guide about extra cleaning charges for vacation rental property.

I take care of vacation rentals (clean/manage). The renters have to sign a rental agreement/contract in which they agree to leave the rental in the same condition that they have found it upon arrival. They have also paid a required cleaning fee for general cleaning ie; stripping and making beds, laundering all bed linens and towels, wiping all surfaces in kitchen and bathrooms, sweeping, vacumning and moping of all floors. What is not included in this general cleaning and is the responsibility of the renter is the removal of all trash, all food, washing of all used dishes (leaving the dishwasher running is OK) and putting any furniture back if moved. If this is not met it would be considered excessive cleaning and you will be charged accordingly.

So my question is if in the event that a renter leaves the place a mess and it is found that there is vomit and or feces and or blood on walls, floors, beds, etc., all the bathroom trash cans full with used sanitary products as well as other yukky things that you would find in bathroom trash. What would you consider a reasonable fee? Or should there be an extra charge based on what the rental agreement/contract that they have signed states? I am very confused on the proper protocol to follow.

Best Answer

I would do it just as I do my rental property. Take it as a deposit beforehand. If it passes, refund it. If not, keep it or prorate it. However, you will need to have it in your contract what the fees are--such as $5 per trash can to empty, $10 for dirty dishes left out, $50 for having to wash curtains, walls or trim work, $100 to clean carpets.

If it is very bad, take photos before cleaning in the event they dispute it with their credit card company.

I think the incident that was described must be used as your model. What could have been done to prevent loss... "better late than never". I do think that a menu of charges will help, trash 10.00, dishes 10.00, etc.

A charge for normal cleaning plus a refundable charge for excessive dirt/damage to the unit. Also explain to the renters face to face or at least by phone what some of the excessive misuses are, so they have no excuses if they do those things.

How are your rental prices in comparison to others in your area? Is it feasible to raise the base rental price to compensate for the extra cleaning needed?

Are the expectations of "leaving as found" outlined in the contract? Can you leave a checklist for the renter to physically Mark off what they need to do? Something like "We hope you enjoyed your stay and found everything exemplary. In order to avoid additional charges (or not getting a refund of your deposit) here is a checklist for your convenience." And then list each thing that needs to be done including:

"Check under beds for your belongings"

Then have a list of things they Don't need to do, such as:

"It is not necessary for you to make the beds"

Good luck. It would just be simpler if everyone was responsible and respectful.

Judy,

Thank you and I must agree with you. I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your insight with me. :)

DCA,

As it is right now, there is a cleaning fee and a separate deposit. Are you suggesting just one large "cleaning" fee, dropping the deposit part of it with the understanding that if there are any issues then they will be deducted accordingly. For example $500.00 if its all good then they will be getting $300.00 returned if its not good, they may get as much as $0.00 back. Or, calling it a "deposit ". People get funny when they feel like its to many "fees", "charges". I really like the basis of your suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. :)

mom-from-missouri,

that is a great idea. To break it all down per each item. If it were me, and if I new it was going to cost me $25.00 for not taking out my own trash, containing my own "bio-hazard". I would make sure not to forget, as that could get very expensive quite quickly. Yes, if I knew that going into it, I know I would be more mindful for sure. Then backing that up with photographic proof. Thank you. This is great. I really appreciate your insight. :)

The Pet Door Store,

Yes, I agree. As a worst case scenario. As it has happened. Then to be better prepared and to try and come out of it ahead of the game. I, too like the idea of having a "menu of charges" in their contract. Thank you. I really like all this good stuff I'm getting from everyone.

Hi Anne,

I believe all of that is listed in their contract. However, what is missing is the personal part of it. It seems everything is done via emails, texts, etc. So, making it a little more personal, via face to face or at least verbal communication could just help. An actual voice/personality may very well be what is needed. Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate it.

Hi mrswood90,

With such a high volume of rentals in the area it is very competitive. so, unfortunately base rates need to be as low and competitive as possible. As I'm pretty sure it is outlined and very specific in their contracts. Even the check-off list. However, the "not necessary" check off list is a great idea. A little positive reinforcement always goes a lot farther then the negative kind. Thank you. I appreciate the insight. Thanks for taking the time and helping me out.