Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks

Dyeing your own fabric can be very satisfying and allows you to get just the color and shade you want for your project. This is a guide about fabric dyeing tips and tricks.

Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Did I say "dying?" I meant "dyeing", as in dyeing material! I found a great new looking, three piece heavy duty bathroom rug set at a garage sale recently. They were priced for only $1 and looked great. The only problem? They were light blue, not the color I wanted for my bathroom.

Dyed rugs on a line.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I grew up in a house where Mama made all my clothes and I remember her explanations of why the dye had to be "set" in cold salt water. She also told me about pre-shrinking new fabric so that the garment wouldn't shrink after it was made and washed. She always did the cold salt water soak in a sink and wrung them out by hand. This doubled as preshrinking.

I have started numerous projects and just don't want to stand in front of the kitchen sink to do all the different colors of fabric. I am running each piece in the washer with a small load, cold water setting. I put 1/2 cup salt in it.

While these loads are running I will stay stitch around the edges of the large pieces of double sided quilting to prevent the batting from coming out around the edges. I will then throw them in one color at a time in cold salt water to wash.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an emerald green evening dress that I want to make white. Is this possible and how would you suggest I do this?

By Lisette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the previous poster. There is likely no possible way to remove the dye from an evening dress without destroying the fabric.

Read More Answers...
Crafts FabricAugust 9, 2012
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 10:54:48 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 570 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.