Browsing: Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks

Dyeing your own fabric can be very satisfying and allows you to get just the color and shade you want for your project. This is a guide about fabric dyeing tips and tricks.

Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 27, 2016 Flag

How do I change a blue scrub shirt to navy blue with food coloring?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have no experience with dying cloth with food colouring. It seems to me it would be an expensive way to go. Why not get some Rit fabric dye, which is available in many places, and use that? It is not expensive, and dying a blue shirt to dark navy will work very well with navy Rit dye. Also, I am sure there is lots of helpful hints with the dye and on the Rit website.

September 10, 2015 Flag

Did I say "dying?" I meant "dyeing", as in dyeing material! I found a great new looking, three piece heavy duty bathroom rug set at a garage sale recently. They were priced for only $1 and looked great. The only problem? They were light blue, not the color I wanted for my bathroom.

Dyed rugs on a line.

August 8, 2012 Flag

I grew up in a house where Mama made all my clothes and I remember her explanations of why the dye had to be "set" in cold salt water. She also told me about pre-shrinking new fabric so that the garment wouldn't shrink after it was made and washed. She always did the cold salt water soak in a sink and wrung them out by hand. This doubled as preshrinking.

I have started numerous projects and just don't want to stand in front of the kitchen sink to do all the different colors of fabric. I am running each piece in the washer with a small load, cold water setting. I put 1/2 cup salt in it.

While these loads are running I will stay stitch around the edges of the large pieces of double sided quilting to prevent the batting from coming out around the edges. I will then throw them in one color at a time in cold salt water to wash.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

November 5, 2013 Flag

I have an emerald green evening dress that I want to make white. Is this possible and how would you suggest I do this?

By Lisette

I don't think there is any way to remove all the dye from a dark dress like this. Even if you were able to bleach out the color without damaging the fabric (and most evening gowns are dry clean only), it would definitely leave color at every sewed seam.

If you do find a way, please let us know. Good luck.

I agree with the previous poster. There is likely no possible way to remove the dye from an evening dress without destroying the fabric.

RIT makes a product for removing dye. Ive never used it before so I dont know how it will react but I would recommend you test it on a swatch of similar fabric. Get a swatch from your local fabric store if you dont have a silk or satin pillow case to use.

Crafts FabricAugust 9, 2012
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 6:09:04 PM on 10.0.0.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.