Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks

Dyeing your own fabric can be very satisfying and allows you to get just the color and shade you want for your project. This is a guide about fabric dyeing tips and tricks.

Fabric Dyeing Tips and Tricks
Filter Sort

Tip: Fear of Dying

By Donna 309 325

Did I say "dying?" I meant "dyeing", as in dyeing material! I found a great new looking, three piece heavy duty bathroom rug set at a garage sale recently. They were priced for only $1 and looked great. The only problem? They were light blue, not the color I wanted for my bathroom.

Dyed rugs on a line.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Pre-shrinking and Setting Dye

By Marty Dick 167 967

I grew up in a house where Mama made all my clothes and I remember her explanations of why the dye had to be "set" in cold salt water. She also told me about pre-shrinking new fabric so that the garment wouldn't shrink after it was made and washed. She always did the cold salt water soak in a sink and wrung them out by hand. This doubled as preshrinking.

I have started numerous projects and just don't want to stand in front of the kitchen sink to do all the different colors of fabric. I am running each piece in the washer with a small load, cold water setting. I put 1/2 cup salt in it.

While these loads are running I will stay stitch around the edges of the large pieces of double sided quilting to prevent the batting from coming out around the edges. I will then throw them in one color at a time in cold salt water to wash.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dye from an Evening Dress

I have an emerald green evening dress that I want to make white. Is this possible and how would you suggest I do this?

By Lisette

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I agree with the previous poster. There is likely no possible way to remove the dye from an evening dress without destroying the fabric.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Crafts FabricAugust 9, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Pink Wedding Dress
Dyeing a Wedding Dress
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 11:50:57 PM on 10.0.2.71 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings