SewingCrafts

Fabric Panel Playmat

My grandson really likes to go to the fabric store and select material for my next kid project, for him of course. Our recent purchase was the panels for this playmat.

1. Press the two panels.
  2. Trim the selvage edges off of both panels.
  3. Lay one panel face up on your batting. Smooth out any wrinkles.
  4. Ad

5. Pin the panel to the batting, just enough to secure to make the final trim of batting to panel size.
  6. Trim off excess batting.
  7. Ad

8. Lay second panel right side down on top of first panel, right sides are together. Adjust your pins for sewing.
  9. Sew around all four sides leaving a 4 - 5 inch opening for turning. I used the edge of the fabric and the presser foot edge to set the seam width, it is approximately 1/4 inch. Note: Unlike the whole cloth quilt with ric rac trim I did not put a piece of tissue paper under the batting while sewing. I probably should have, it helps the feed dogs work more smoothly.
  10. Ad

11. Tie your threads at the beginning and end of the seam, unless you began and ended with a back stitch. Snip corners.
  12. Turn right side out and finger press or use an iron to flatten the seams.
  13. Ad

14. Turn the seam allowance in where you left your opening for turning. Pin and blind stitch closed.
  15. I ironed the mat and seams with a steam iron to make sure it laid flat before tying my square knots. This is optional, but I believe it helps.
  16. Next the three layers were tied together using an embroidery needle and perle cotton floss. As the mat is two sided with different images on each side I roughly measured the 8 - 10 inches between ties, as recommended for this type of batting. When I found my spots for tying I checked the other side for placement on that side as well. Trim off excess floss leaving about 3/4 of an inch. I was under strict instructions from the three year old that the mat needed to be flat :) Besides who wants a tie right in the middle of the road.
  17. The mat is ready to play with now. I had to test drive a dump truck myself before handing it over to the grandson.

Anonymous

So cute thanks for sharing. Looks like

grandson is having fun.

Your project is so neat and looks like it is really appreciated - makes me recall making cloth books for my grandkids - many years ago. Thanks for an interesting and useful post.