Fast Growing Ground Cover Ideas

Category Landscaping
Creeping Phlox (Phlox Sublata)
For areas that aren't suitable for grass or as an alternative to a lawn there are a variety of ground covers that will complete your landscaping and add color and texture to your garden. This is a guide about fast growing ground cover ideas.

Can anyone recommend a fast-growing ground cover along the lines of a succulent or one that is extremely hardy? I have a large central garden bed 30 feet x 30 feet with decorative white gravel and largish plants. It is 3 feet high.

Because of weeds continually growing through (weedmat already down and poisoning required), it's getting me down. I'm looking for something that that would be 8-10 inches high at best. The ground is 90% sand.

By Rebecca from Gold Coast, Australia

Answers

Best Answer

Try planting small succulents. There are dozens of varieties. In Nevada, I had hens and chicks and my tulips came up. Thanks for the reminder. I had planted some bulbs that didn't come up. My ground cover is pretty thick. That's why. Thanks!

Jennifer CA

Best Answer

Try moss roses (portulaca). This is not a rose but a trailing succulent. They can take extreme heat and are very easy to grow.

Best Answer

I don't know how well it would do up there but I grow convovulus as a ground cover also there is a prostrate form of grevillea and also a boobialla that might be OK for up there. And the old standby African daisy, but that can be invasive. You might need to check with your local council whether some of these would be regarded as feral in your area.

What is the best fast growing ground cover for a shady, fenced in patio?

Thank you.

By Ken from San Jose, CA

Anonymous
Best Answer

I love Carpet Phlox! They spread fairly quickly and get about five inches tall. The leaves stay green all year and sometimes even flower twice a year. There are an assortment of flower colors to choose from. I love white because when they bloom in the spring it looks like a bed of snow :-) Double check that they will do well in your area and how to care for them but they truly are an easy and nice ground cover.

Best Answer

I like the chameleon plant they have great red color in sun and stay green in shade. They spread well, and grow about 4 inches tall. I love them.

JennI