Feeding Dogs Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice
Dog owners are often looking for ways to protect their lawn from damage by their pet's urine. This is a guide about feeding dogs tomato juice.

I have heard that you can give your dogs tomato juice to stop their urine from turning the grass yellow. How much would I need to give my dogs and how often? I have two dogs weighing 19kg and 38kg.

By SophHarv from UK

Best Answer

Give the dogs more FRESH water to drink. They can pee clear like humans too.

My dog likes roma tomatoes, cut into little pieces, toss in a salad of raw vegies. Mine loves her green beans, peas, zucchini, cukes, oh, lettuce and spinach are the plus. Mix and match. I also do sundried tomatoes and give her a sliver. LOVE THE TASTE, I eat them like jerky snacks. Again, a little bit.

Best Answer

I would be extremely, extremely leery about giving a dog tomato juice. It is very, very hard on their stomachs. We never, ever give our dog anything with a tomato base. However, once when I cooked fried green tomatoes, my husband, not thinking because they weren't red, gave our dog three slices. He loved them, however we ended up at the vet with the dog vomiting for several days. DO NOT give tomatos!

Anonymous

The theory behind giving dogs tomato juice or adding baking soda to a their water is, if you increase salt in the dog's diet, they will drink more water, which will dilute their urine. However, too much salt can cause health problems in healthy dogs or aggravate existing health problems. You might want to talk to a veterinarian before adding tomato juice to your dog's diet.

Here is a link to a website that talks about giving dogs tomato juice, and gives tips on how you might avoid yellow dog urine spots on grass.

http://plantans … wn_problems.html

No, never give a dog that. It could harm the stomach.

I heard that if I give my dog 4 oz. of tomato juice that it would improve the color of her coat. Any advice on this subject?

I have never heard of this but since tomato juice has a lot of salt (salt free?) then it may not be good for your dog's kidneys so I would check this out before giving very much.

Tomato juice is sometimes used if dogs have came in contact with a skunk or some other bad odor and some people say they use it to keep the dog's urine from killing their grass.

I do not believe it is a good idea to give your dog very much (if any) tomato without talking it over with your vet.

Here's advice from one vet site:

"One particular home remedy, tomato juice, likely has its primary benefit through both increased salt and water intake. While salt will make the dog drink more and dilute the urine, increased salt intake can cause problems for dogs with existing kidney or heart conditions. Owners should not alter their dogs diet without consulting with their veterinarian."

Here is a link to a site that discusses uses for tomato juice.

http://polk.uwe … ot-tomato-juice/

I agree that it's too salty. It can cause problems with the kidney and heart. I wouldn't give anything to my pet without clearing it with my vet.

I would not give it. And, I can't think of anything in the tomato juice that would improve the color. Color is a DNA trait. DIet won't change DNA