Feeding Hummingbirds

When do I stop feeding the hummingbirds? This is the first year I have ever put out a hummingbird feeder, and I would like to know how much longer I should keep the feeder available to them. I live in northwestern PA. Thanks for the replies.

By truerblue from PA

Answers:

Feeding Hummingbirds

In my area of the states, I keep hummingbird nectar until after birds go south. Hummingbirds will stop by and drink while in transit giving them food for their long journey. (09/15/2009)

By Lorelei

Feeding Hummingbirds

We take down our hummingbird feeder when there is no sign of the liquid being consumed. Our feeder has held the same amount of fluid for about a week now. So we will wait a few more days and then take the feeder down for the winter. (09/15/2009)

By foxrun41

Feeding Hummingbirds

It is 9/21/2009 and we are still feeding our hummers here in Mississippi. We just have 2 feeders and we have 5 hummers. They usually hover near our window and look in at my hubby, he is the one who usually feeds them. They are so cute, I keep expecting them to migrate but they are still here. (09/21/2009)

By crzylady

Feeding Hummingbirds

Hi, the hummingbird sites online suggest waiting for 2 weeks after your last sighting of hummies; that way, you don't risk leaving them with no food. Good luck! Nancy in NC.

PS -- in case you don't know, make your own nectar (don't use the store-bought nectar because it contains dye that can cause fungus in the hummies' tongues that interferes with their feeding). The proportion is one part sugar to four parts water; heat half the amount of the water in your microwave, mix in the sugar until it is completely dissolved, then add the other half of the water (so it's not too hot). Allow it to cool to room temperature before filling the feeders.

Keep the remainder of the nectar in a clean sealed jar in your refrigerator. Replace in the feeder at least every week after scrubbing out the feeder -- DON'T use soap or detergent and be sure to rinse completely. Enjoy! (09/26/2009)

By NokomisNims

Feeding Hummingbirds
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
white throated mountain gem hummingbird
Feeding Hummingbirds
Hummingbird flying.
Attracting Hummingbirds
🎉
🎄