HealthDogs

Feeding a 3 Week Old Puppy

My friend had a baby Chihuahua. It was given to me because the mother would not feed him; she didn't have any milk and was trying to wean him off I guess. Their house was also infested with fleas, so he's home with me. He ate one good time with supplement milk and the second time he wouldn't eat. He's just sleeping. Is this normal? What should I do? I'm worried about him

By Dawn

Best Answer

You are going to need to take your puppy to a Vet. You did not say how old he was, but a puppy that should be nursing requires the right food and schedule, and special care. He will need shots at the right age or you may bring him along only to lose him to parvo later. See your Vet soon so your puppy has a good chance.

Best Answer

See a vet. When a young pup feeds, the mother licks him from below the navel downwards to stimulate digestion (as we burp a baby). So you may need to dampen a cotton wad with warm water and wipe as the mother would.

If you do not know how to keep such a young puppy without its mother, you must get immediate help. Your puppy is very young and needs special care without his mother. See this infomation from the excellent site WebMD.com to start:

http://pets.web  puppy-food-types