Feeding a Baby Lamb

Thank you to all who helped with my bunny with a scab on his back. It proved to be simply healed with some Betadine and Mercurochrome. My next question is an SOS. We found a little lamb on the farm that had been turned out by her Mom. She is one of twins and was obviously the weaker of the two. She was about a week old, hypothermic and at death's door.

We brought her in, warmed her up and virtually brought her back to life. We fed her with a syringe - this was a week ago. Now, at just over 2 weeks old, we still cannot get her to suck. We have put her milk into a squeeze bottle and literally squeezed the milk into her mouth and she then swallows it. Do I put the teat in the side of her mouth? She will not take it in from the front of her mouth. How do I get her to suck? I am feeding her the special formula for lambs. She has also had a runny nose. I was told to inject her with Penicillin every second day, 3 times. It is still a little runny. Thank you to anyone who is able to advise me.

Carolyn from South Africa

Feeding a Baby Lamb

When we raised goats, I often found that some babies would drink from a bottle, but some would drink only from a cup.

You might try putting the milk into a tall-sided container to see if your baby likes it better that way. WE successfully reared several abandoned ones, but sometimes not. (09/07/2006)

By Nancy from MO

Feeding a Baby Lamb

We had a calf with the same problem,we had to force feed her she would not suck.We went ot the vet and he gave us a shot to give her to make her hungry.You would not have believed how fast it worked.She ate like she was starving.I don't remember what it was ,but you could call and ask if they had anything like it.Hope this helps. (09/07/2006)

By Jan

Feeding a Baby Lamb I NEED HELP!!!!!

What should I do.... I have just recently got a lamb and its mother died and she tries to eat the bottle... and only wants to eat creep feed shes only 2 weeks old. (04/13/2007)

By Sam

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Rub under her throat and neck with the bottle in her mouth, it helps infants suck that way. (01/05/2008)

By daisy

Feeding a Baby Lamb

I have a lamb and her milk does not come out. so what should I do if I have two baby lambs and don't know how to bottle feed them? Wat do I put in the milk? How do I mix it? (03/08/2008)

By Wendy

Feeding a Baby Lamb

You do not need to put the bottle any certain way. I go straight from the front .I do hold the chin to the bottle a little. If she does not suck you may have to continue the method of forcefeeding. When she is 3 weeks old she will start to chew things she should be getting her teeth about now and you can offer a it of a mixed grain. She may nibble on it also make sure there is water around for her to go to. (04/17/2008)

By Barbara S.

Baby Lambs Eating
Feeding a Baby Lamb
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
A plate of lamb chops and carrots.
Lamb Recipes
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower