Feeding a Diabetic Cat

Diabetic Cat
Consult your veterinarian about food suggestions for your pet's special needs. This guide is about feeding a diabetic cat.

My ten year old tortoise shell cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes and needs insulin injections twice a day. I can handle that, but she needs a diet free from vegetable protein and sugars. Has anyone else had this problem? can you share your feeding plan with me?

Sandra from Ireland

i would suggest doing some research on the raw food diet

http://communit  /rawdogs/profile

this page has alot of links on the subject ( dont be put off by the name, its directed at evolutionarily appropriate diets for all pet animals)

also, if you really dont want to go that way

http://communit  ain_free/profile

is great too

i would highly recommend the raw diet too.

your vet may have objections to this, but it would be a really good idea for you to do your own research as most vets have only a few hours of nutrition education ( i think it is also optional?), mostly funded by pet food companies, so alot of the information they are given is highly biased.

hope this helps your kitty :)

-neko

You should be able to get special food through your vet. I had my kitty-cat on something called DM, but I don't remember who made it. Also, I used to give her boiled chicken, canned salmon (be careful of the added salt though), and the vet said baby food meat would be good. You must get the kind that is nothing but meat though--no veggies added. Her favorite was veal!

Thanks Neko and Jennifer for your feedback - lots of food for thought there and I think its going to take a while to get a handle on this situation! So far so good she seems to be responding.

Can my painfully thin kitty have the milk she wants and begs for every morning? She needs to hydrate as much as possible and she loves cheese and milk and meows hysterically until I give in and give her some.

By Cathy C from Santa Barbara, CA

I would be concerned with the sugars in milk. You need to find out how much in the way of sugars she can have. You might try some home made broths. You can make them as concentrated as you want. They have a lot of flavor and my cats love them (chicken is their favorite). They do help with hydration.

I have to agree with Lizzy. The sugar in the milk would be my concern as well. Milk in general really isn't good for cats, cats are lactose intolerant which would include stomach issues and diarrhea, and in turn can make your kitty loose more weight and dehydrate even more. Google online for healthy foods and treats for diabetic cats.

Does anyone have a recipe for cat food for a diabetic cat?

By Joy from Rochester, NY