Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies

Dog With Food Allergies
Many dogs suffer from food allergies. This is a guide about feeding a dog with food allergies.

My dog Dazee has problems with allergies that cause her to chew, lose hair, and get sick. After treating her with cortisone shots, not only was it becoming expensive to visit the vet, she refused to eat the expensive foods we bought. Then this past January, she was in really bad shape. I had recently started eating yogurt a lot and it was helping me with my digestive system. I thought, well, I will try yogurt on her food.

She not only loved it and refuses to eat her food without it, but within a week she started chewing less and growing her hair back. She started getting her energy back as well. Within a month, all her hair had grown back, she gained weight, and she was as spunky as when she was a puppy. So if any of you are at your wits end with trying to help your dog with the allergies or digestive problems, give yogurt a try. I use organic, plain yogurt. It's a lot cheaper than trips to the vet. Here is a picture of what she looked like when we first started the yogurt treatment. It broke my heart when I couldn't help her. Thank God for yogurt!

By Heather from Clinton, WA

If you are looking for a good quality grain free dog food, Taste of the Wild is a respected and trustworthy brand. Sometimes the best deals can be found online. This is a great deal for a 30lb bag of high quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Hi Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Venison, 30-Pound Bag

Unfortunately many dogs develop allergies to commercial dog foods. Low ingredient foods sometimes help, but if not, pet owners often try to provide homemade food. This is a guide about recipes for a dog with allergies.

A dog eating food.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What is a safe alternative to dry special diet foods like Science Diet, if your puppy (now 6 months old) seems to be having allergies to it? He seems to be always chewing at his under belly and inner thighs. Thanks. This is my first small breed puppy and we want him to live a long and healthy life with us. Our grandsons love him to pieces.

By Sue 1 from Van, BC

Answer Was this helpful? 2

For tens of thousands of years, dogs ate the same foods their owners ate. Dry dog food wasn't invented until 1860 (just 140 years ago), but through clever marketing, many people now believe you should only feed your dogs commercial dog food. A lot of the dog foods marketed today contain many ingredients that can cause allergic reactions in dogs, and the foods that are hypoallergenic are very expensive. Here is a site you can go to to get recipes for making your own pet food, as well as a list of foods to avoid:

http://allrecip  food/Detail.aspx

Oops! In my previous post, I wrote that dog food was invented 140 years, That should have been 150 years.

My dog used to scratch and chew herself raw. This is what helps. Throw chicken in a pot boil it up. When cooked, pull the meat off the bones chop it up and add 2 cups of brown rice. If you want you can throw in some cooked peas or carrots (both). Theres nothing wrong with feeding your dog "people" food, they think they're people, don'they.

My schnauzer had the same problem and found that "good" brands like Science Diet were not so good. I switched her to Canidae and later in life to Blue Buffalo because of health problems. When I switched her, the change was immediate. Also, fish oil on the food would be a big help.

I love wellness pet food. Try that. Although Vets recommend science diet, don't give in. Veterinarians are not pet food nutritionists.

Natural Balance is one of the best dog foods on the market, way better than science diet. And most of their selection is Limited Ingredient Formulated. I use to work at a pet store and switched tons of people to this food who were buying prescription diet foods and it was not only cheaper for them but their dogs did better on it then the prescription brand.

**A secret to saving a buck too is go to a pet supplies plus or a tractor supplies plus they sell this brand for pretty cheap take a photo of the price sign then go to a Petco. They will not only price match it for the cheaper price but if you buy 10 bags in 12 months they mail you a coupon for a free bag.

My Parson Russell started "chewing and licking her feet" so I took her to the vet. We did the allergy test and she is allergic to beef, salmon, corn, oats, and duck. +/- to: venison, milk, soybean, lamb, and kelp. Now what? All hypoallergenic dog foods have oats instead of wheat. What dry food can I buy for her? She just turned 7.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My 6 year old lab Pepper is suffering from loss of appetite and terrible patches of oozing, bloody skin. I have had her to the vet 5 times. He wants 1800 dollars to allergy test Pepper. I love her very, very much, but I truly do not have that kind of money.

We changed her food from Iams to Blue Buffalo about a year ago. She is currently on the duck and potato recipe. The spots come and go, but her lack of appetite and lethargic behavior just started. Any suggestions from anyone?

By Mary S.

Dod food, like most prepared human food, is full of additives. Have you tried a more natural diet of raw meat? The allergy could also be something besides food; something that comes in contact with her skin.

Several answers come to mind. We had a lot of issues with our American bulldog. Skin rashes, diarrhea, bloody liquid stools, bloodshot eyes, the dog was miserable. We have him on Diamonds Natural Lamb Meal and Rice.

How we got him stabilized is another story. We feed him cooked rice an mixed in several tablespoons of organic yogurt with several live cultures. He got this twice a day. In the morning batch we also gave him a teaspoon or local raw honey.

The yogurt was to balance his flora in his intestines and it worked beautifully. The honey was created by local bees collecting from flowers/pollen from what is locally airborne. This really helped a lot. after about a month we weaned him down to 1/2 tsp and then none at all.

The skin issues are gone. We only use a sensitive shampoo on him. He gets a daily dose of yogurt every single day. A large heaping tablespoon. I am also making his yogurt now. I make a bout a gallon every 10 days. He love is it and he waits for it to come out warm and fresh. What a beggar!

I learned that all these things are happening to him due to the fact that he has an immature auto immune system. Which was one of the reasons fleas loved him. I couldn't put a flea collar or any type chem on him. He almost died the first time. it freaked me out!! So we do it all naturally with him. He is a sweetie pie..

What a tough problem. I had a dog with skin allergies that chewed himself raw. I kept changing diets until I began to cook for him. Every time I changed diets he would improve for 6 months and then begin chewing himself again. So I would change the diet again.

Just as I was thinking I would have to go to the exotic meat store because I had used everything available at the local supermarket, I tried canned salmon (bones skin and all) and brown rice. The chewing stopped and never began again. He lived to be 17 years old on that diet.

I cooked it every week for him. It is hard to tell if your dogs skin condition is from the diet, but it sounds like it may be. If I were you I would be thinking hard about another vet. It is much easier and cheaper to try different diets than to spend $1800 allergy testing. I would be looking for a 2nd opinion. Best of luck to you and Pepper.

Here are a large number of suggestions. I would have the dog tested for mange, or other mites. Mites are terribly itchy.

Slideshow on Skin Problems in Dogs

http://pets.web  problems-in-dogs

I would cover all bases as much as possible. I would assume it is fleas among other things, even one will cause an allergic reaction. Even if you don't see them on the dog, he could have them anyway. What kind of flea and tick prevention is the dog on?

Put her on comfortis, the pill, some dogs are allergic to any kind of topical and the fleas are immune to topical treatments most of the time now anyway.

You can buy this at the vet for about 15 or so dollars once a month and it is a great treatment for fleas. I would also assume yeast is out of control so I would do the grain free diet as much as possible..no treats from the store. Try a chicken diet for a couple of days and see how the dog handles it.

I would try to give the dog a bath at least once a week. Never use oatmeal shampoo if there is a yeast problem. The yeast feed on grains.

No scraps, bread, etc is bad for the dog. No store bought treats. If he needs a reward, give him a bag of turkey, the kind you buy in individual bags from the store to make sandwiches out of.

Change the dog food to a more expensive brand where on the ingredients list within the first four ingredients is chicken and not chicken by products.

Oftentimes, changing the diet to a grain-free, allergen-free food paired with a short-term dose of a steroid and a yeast-preventative medication and/or shampoo can start to improve a dog's yeast balance. There is no way to identify the absolute cause of the yeast infection, but treating all complications at once and maintaining a grain-free diet, as well as applying yeast-reducing shampoos, are often effective in treating a dog with chronic yeast problems.

Also please look at the pictures on this site of systemic yeast infections and how to treat them. This lady knows so much about dogs it is amazing.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/

I would give the dog 1 mgs of benadryl per pound of body weight.

The benadryl cannot be the kind that is mixed with cold meds. It must be the kind with only dipenhydramine in it. The pills are easier to give in food.

You can administer up to 1 mg/lb every 8 hours (or 3 times a day -- tid). So if you have a 20 lb. dog, it's 20 mg of diphenhydramine.

http://www.eart  /allergies3.html

The above link discusses some home remedies for pets.

Here are some items in the articles on earthclinic.com:

"that came about when he was 2. He was thought to have various disorders like Cushings and Addisons but the tests proved he didn't and no matter what we did he was getting worse to the point where he could no longer move and wouldn't eat.

I found a book called "The Holistic Guide to A Healthy Dog" by Wendy Volhard and followed the instructions for a cleansing diet to rid my dogs body of toxins and allergies.

He was completely better within 12 hours. Running around like a puppy, normal stools etc. I proceeded with the natural diet that is outlined in the book and he has led an amazing life since.

When people see him walking down the street they ask how old my "puppy" is. The transformation is remarkable. He is now 8 and his only vet trips in the last five years have been to weigh in and make sure I am balancing his vitamins properly.

I highly recommend this book even if a dog doesn't have issues but just to give it back the life dogs are meant to live.

The diet takes a while for humans to get used to... A bit more work than we are accustomed, but it's worth it! Also in the appendix are herbal, holistic, mineral and vitamin remedies for all kinds of ailments and issues. You may find it very interesting as well because of what you do for a living.

Take care and good luck!

More Reading:

About Candida Yeast in Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz1t1KPyEgW

I too, would find another vet as stated above. That seems too single minded of an approach when it could be metabolic or hormonal...

I too have a dog with allergies. My vet charged $400 for the test in which they test for the most common allergies. The results give number ranges, the higher the number, the more allergic your pet is. Mine is allergic to chicken, beets, carrots, sweet potato, and soy along with numerous grasses, weeds, trees, and household dust. There is no way to pin point exactly what your pet allergic too but this is the best way to start. However, if your vet is charging you $1,800 to run this test, he's ripping you off. I would find another vet. Believe it or not, chicken and poultry are one of the most common allergies in pets. I feed my dog Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. It is the only thing I have been able to find that has none of those ingredients:

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

H-4449

My Shih Tzu is over 10 years old and has always been bright and full of life. Lately she is having some skin issues - hot and red on her belly and back legs. She licks and is now not feeling very well. I did change her food, but to no avail. I know she is allergic to gluten, but I also went no yeast as well. I really want to make my own food for her, but would like some guidance please. If anyone can help, please let me know!

My English Mastiff has food allergies. What besides lamb and rice dog food can I feed him?

By Amanda E. from Irwin, PA

That's something you should definitely ask your vet.

Soy seems to be the culprit. It's used to up the protein but I know of dogs having skin problems until it's eliminated.

I don't give my dog anything with corn as an ingredient. I use Blue Buffalo dry food. Seemed to help.

My allergic cairn terrier ate cooked brown rice with canned salmon (skin bones and all) until he was 17 years old. He was allergic to nearly everything else.

My Belgian Shepherd, Busta, has been suffering with major skin allergies for too long. He was diagnosed with epilepsy last year. The vet believes that the skin issues and seizures are linked, as when his rash has flared up his seizures get worse. At long last and many vets, specialists, and arguments ago I finally got an amazing skin specialist who is now doing many tests and so forth. She has requested we try a hypoallergenic food which is great, but the food she wants us to try is way too expensive so we are looking at alternatives. Any ideas would be great.

I'm also looking for homemade recipes, but here is where it becomes awkward because overall the food he has tried is canned and only has meats like venison, ostrich, and other rare ones, and an unusual carb and limited vegetables. Any help, advice, or websites would be fantastic. Thank you in advance just for taking the time to read this.

By Sara

My dog has skin allergies. The very best thing I found was Immunitol. I also have a dog with a granuloma on his paw, it cleared that up too. It costs quite a bit. I can't afford it now since I lost my job. It really works!

I had a tough time finding a diet for my allergic Cairn Terrier. I finally ended up cooking for him. I cooked brown rice, added a can of pink salmon (bones, skin, oil and all) I added a vitamin mix. He never had a problem after that. He had chewed himself practically hairless before I found the right combination. Strangely, the food he was most allergic to was broccoli. He lived to be 17 1/2 with no problems on that diet.

My dog is allergic to beef, lamb, and diary products. Can I feed her chicken and rice, as low allergic dog food is so expensive?

By Cinita

My German Shepherd has terrible food allergies. The big one is wheat. You can give him chicken and rice, it's healthy. I have been feeding my dog Purina One Beyond (yellow bag) chicken and oatmeal. It's not terribly expensive like the others and I often find $2 coupons in the Sunday newspaper. It also contains apples, carrots and tomatoes. It's dry food. My dog eats about 4 cups a day. Maybe you could make your chicken and rice and add a little of the One Beyond for crunch, that way he will get the "doggie" nutrients he needs.

I am not sure that chicken and rice alone would meet all of his nutritional requirements. Please talk to your vet about the possibility of supplements.

Help please, I'm in a state. My dog is allergic to lots of things and is nearly chewing her poor feet off. I have an English Bull Terrier who is a rescue dog so we don't know her history at all. Her feet and her underside are red and now her ears are going red and feel warm to the touch. I am feeding her on rice and tinned dog food, but I know dog food tinned is bad. Now I have read what people have written so I have stopped the tinned junk. Anyway can anyone out there who has a bullie please get in touch and let me know what to do and what to feed her on? Is it OK to carry on with the rice? I don't know were to start. I am a carer for my dad 7 days a week so I struggle with my money. I also have a rescue Staffy, he is 9. He was my next door neighbour's, but the old man died so I have him cos no one would have the poor little thing. Please take the time to answer me cos I need some genuine advice.

My puppy is allergic to eggs, soy, and grain. Are there any foods you know of without these ingredients?

I have a 6 month old Shih Tzu. He is very itchy. I have tried giving him 1/2 a benadryl 2 times a day, but it doesn't work. My vet said it could be a possible food allergy. I just switched him to Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice puppy. Is this a good food or should I feed him something else?

TIA

Dee from KY

Answers:

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Maybe try California Naturals dry "little bites" Lamb and Rice dog food and a few (2-3) drops of wild Alaskan Salmon oil caps a day. I poke the capsule with the tip of a sharp knife, drop a couple drops into their food and save the rest, hole end up for the next day(s) till that's gone, then start another. That is what my vet told me to do for my Lhasa Apsos. Seems to help some. I also give them a dining spoonful of organic pumpkin with their food.
Good luck. (07/14/2008)

By Sue

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

This link tells you to try different dog foods out and see what works best. I also read that oatmeal poured straight from the box into bath water relieves the itch better than oatmeal shampoo. Just soak the dog awhile in it or dip the soupy oatmeal over your dog several times. The article did not state how much oatmeal to pour into the water.

Also, I read elsewhere that dog food treats and some toys can also produce allergy symptoms the same as dog food.

healthy-holistic-living.com (07/14/2008)

By Lorelei

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

If the dog is laying on your sheets, he might be allergic to the detergent.

Also, my vet heartily recommends Hill's Science Diet. (07/14/2008)

By cookwie

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

PS. Or allergic to the softener in the laundry. (07/14/2008)

By cookwie

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Try raw feeding him. Google BARF and get ideas. (This is a diet.) It really works. They can even eat bones, if they are raw. You can start him on cottage cheese and eggs. People food. (07/14/2008)

By mS mIN

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

This is a very good food, but you have to make sure nobody gives him treats made from anything else and absolutely no human food. At our office we recommended Science Diet, but Nature's Recipe is good, too. Just make sure to control all food going into this dog's mouth or you'll never know if this works. (07/14/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Solid Gold dog food works great! (07/14/2008)

By Stacy

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

That's incorrect that you shouldn't give them people food. If your dog was on a people food/homemade diet he probably wouldn't have problems with allergies. Vets in general don't know that much about nutrition/food unless they're a holistic vet. Healthy lean people food, except for the ones that are bad for them, are excellent. You can look on-line for the foods dogs shouldn't have. And you can search here because several people, including me, have listed them. You can get him tested and find out exactly what he's allergic to, also. It may be a little expensive, but trying several foods, etc. will end up being just as expensive. You can go to the Animal Protection Institute and order it free. Read their excellent brochure on "What's In Pet Food" or something like that title. (07/14/2008)

By Me

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Put oat meal in a large tube sock and tie a knot, then use that for the doggie. It helps people with skin problems. My vet asked me what I fed my Shih-poo as he has great skin and healthy. I give him some Pedigree canned food, he likes puppy flavors best. Then I add some sliced baby carrots and peas mixed
into it. He gets one scrambled egg on Sundays, scrambled plain. And for treats he loves frozen watermelon or fresh bananas slices and the vet said this was great. I do not buy treats as they do not look healthy. He prefers sliced baby carrots or steamed veggies, watermelon, and apple slices. I hope you find out what is causing the problem. Good luck. Oh yeah, green beans from the can. Cold is something dogs love. (07/14/2008)

By meoowmom

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

My Shih-tzu, Lily, had a flaky skin problem for a while with a lot of itching, licking, and scratching. We never had her tested for allergies, although that's usually the first thing everyone recommends. I figured we'd try to start with the easiest solution before I test her for allergies. So we ended up getting a shampoo (Malaseb) from the vet and it seems to really work for her. We have to bath her often (1x week) with that shampoo. I actually thought bathing too often would cause problems, but with the right shampoo it helped significantly. Good luck. (07/15/2008)

By khilde80

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

My little male Shih-tzu itched and itched so badly it use to completely tire him out. I started with bathing him, which did help, but never solved the problem as it kept coming back. Then I thought fleas, but you could never find any on them. However all it takes is 1 little bite to drive him crazy, I solved that with vinegar in their food and water. Yet he still scratched, was driving me crazy watching him, wondering why. If a dog scratches there is something irritating them. Finally I happened to notice his saliva glands, (hidden under those long ears) they were oft times puffy and swollen. I took him to the vet and they gave me a treatment. They said he most likely ate a spider or some little thing that didn't agree with him. A light went off in my head. How stupid of me.

Slowly but surely a long list started growing. He can't eat wheat, soy, brewers yeast, corn, cinnamon, chicken or any chicken product, livers of any kind, and that's just for starters. Just this past week, he got so sick I was terrified I was going to lose him. Everyone in my household is aware and always on alert. Company that brings snacks must be monitored closely while visiting. Accidental ingestion can happen too easily.

There is no such thing as buying any store food for him, not even for backup purposes. Every dog food out there so far has something in it he can't eat and I've been in touch with many holistic food companies. None can help me! So its strictly home made food for him.

He does his best when he's strictly limited to raw or slightly seared, organic beef, lamb, or rabbit meat. Nothing else, he quickly becomes a little bomb around here with a buzzing tail, in every body's way, and he feels so good. For his treats I prepare special to fit him and he loves them!

More and more dogs everyday are growing intolerant of many foods, it's more wide spread than one realizes. Some signs I have found related to food intolerance are, vigorously running along and rubbing the floor with the side of their face, mild to severe drooling, difficulty swallowing, general restlessness, and morning tummy grumbles, exceptionally loose dark and very stinky stool. These are just a few of the more serious signs I have noted to food intolerance/allergy. If the offending food is not removed or too much was ingested, the dog will have one or many early signs followed by becoming almost listless and won't be stirred unless something drastic is done. Then I panic. (This has been my experience.) (07/17/2008)

By Chicklet

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Another thing you may want to consider, Shih-tzu's along with many other breeds have rather long hair, and get hot easily. Could you imagine wearing a heavy coat in July and August? It would be horrid! Yet we expect our pets to be OK with it. Well truth is, they're not, and if they could speak I'm sure they would tell us so. My little Shih-tzus will get in scratching frenzies during these months if I allow their hair to grow over 1/2 inch. The scratching stops once the hair is shaved off.

Sweat makes most people itch if left. So I always follow up with a good bath after removing the hair. Is very refreshing and make for a much healthier and happier pooch, just something to consider and perhaps solve the itch. (07/23/2008)

By Chicklet

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

Most dogs can handle oatmeal and brown rice. I cook kidney or chicken, throw in some veggies, and black beans, too. A little walnut oil and fish oil and they love it, the oil really helps itchy skin. (07/23/2008)

By Tumpy

Dog Foods for a Dog With Allergies

I found a wonderful cookbook for dogs with food allergies. It contains dozens of recipes for cookies, dinners, and other treats that are wheat free or corn free or dairy and egg free. It's also has a lot of information about how to reduce allergic reactions and how to strengthen your dog's immune system with vitamins and common herbs. Check it out at http://www.geocities.com/sanchez_ks/ (07/27/2008)

By ChamysMom