Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

I have a 4 month and 20 days old Neopolitan Mastiff. He weighs around 27 kgs., but he looks very skinny and his hip bones are visible. I fed him Royal Canin (giant babydog) and lactol till now.

Recently I started giving him homemade food. I mix a half kg of minced chicken with 250gms of carrot, 250gms beet root, 100gms spinach, and 4 garlic cloves. I boil and mix it with rice in small proportions. I give the mix 2 times a day, plus curd rice between the 2 meals. Kindly suggest if it's OK.

By ganesh

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

The CKC had an interesting article in this month's magazine re; raw diets, and the risks to handlers of salmonella poisoning.

http://www.dogsincanada.com/ and

By Saskatoon Leigh

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

It depends how you want to keep the dog. Most people keep the dog lean and active for the first year and that is advisable. A plump dog will be more prone to joint disorders. My dog is four months old and weighs a healthy 27 kgs., but looks lean. Consult a good vet. (03/28/2011)

By ganeshmarke

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff

At first glance I would say your home made food might lack enough fat. If you are including the skin on your chicken you are supplying some fat, but possibly not enough. That would certainly affect an animal's weight. I have fed homemade food for many years with great success. I would be inclined with a dog as young as yours with as high a nutritional requirement as yours to feed a top quality dog food and use homemade as a supplement while he is still growing. (03/28/2011)

By Lizzyanny

Feeding a Neapolitan Mastiff
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Neapolitan Mastiff
Neapolitan Mastiff Breed Information and Photos