Fig Tree Not Producing Fruit

Category Fruit Trees
Fig tree with Fruit
Having a fruit tree that does not produce fruit is very frustrating. This is a guide about fig tree not producing fruit.

I have a fig tree that is approximately 6 years old. Every year I expect it to produce fruit, but have not had any luck at this point. Should I have at least two fig trees? Is there a chemical I should be adding to the soil? I have the tree in a large container and it gets 7 to 8 hours of sun each day. In the winter I take the container to my garage (temperature ranges from 30 to 60 degrees). I introduce the plant to the outside in late March or or early spring. Any suggestions?

By PAT F

Answers

Best Answer

First you didn't say where you live but I gather it is up north or what kind of fig it? I grow 3 different kinds of figs but I live in South Georgia. I grow some in containers also as I have to move some of them to the sunny areas as the year progresses.

Sounds like you need to put a large pan at least 4 inches deep with water in it and put your fig tree in there in the spring. I also put Epsom salt around mine to make it put on fruit. Needs more fertilizing in a pot but in small amounts regularly. Good luck.

Best Answer

Fig tree are male or female and only a female fig tree will give edible fruits. You should try to identify your tree and check if it is possible to graft fig trees in case your tree is a male fig tree.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Cut all the leaves off your fig tree and your figs will ripen