Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

A house or apartment fire is devastating. Coping with the aftermath can be easier if you have assistance. This is a guide about finding agencies to help after a house fire.

How do I get grants after a fire at my house?

Answer Was this helpful? 9

I need help please .

Were can we get help after losing everything in a house fire?

Red Cross and if you owned the home, possibly see about getting on the list for Habitat if you meet their requirements.

I need to know if there are any programs to help us with a new apartment or house, and clothing, etc. We lost everything in a house fire. Please message me if you know anyone or any programs.

The Red Cross is good for this. You can also contact local churches.

What do you do if someone one burns down your house and you don't have insurance and you have lots of items in it? I live in Cleveland Ohio.

Wait until fire investagater clear u to go bk in house salvage wat didn't burn. Put in storage and contact redcross, your local chuches, I've been in ur shoes , I'm sorry for u and ur family, and I'll be pra yu ing

My home burned down and I have no place to go. I was wondering how do I get help?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My family are victims of a house fire, in need of of clothes at least till home insurance red tape. Can they get any kind of a voucher from any thrify clothes and how fast clothing is needed now?? Please help..

I had a fire in my home Dec 1st in PA. I lost everything. I am single, all alone and on disability. Can't afford to rebuild. Can I get any help? I am reaching out as the house was not insured. Please help. Is there any assistance available?

By Robin S.

Best Answer

This same thing happened to a girl friend years ago but it was her young daughter that was disabled. They too lost everything including their miniature poodle [poor thing] it didn't make it out of the house. They went to the county they lived in and the Salvation Army for help.

Call your social worker and let them know what has happened to you. Perhaps the YWCA could answer some of your questions also. Your in my thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time.

The place where I was staying in Clark county in Washington had a house fire, and now I am temporarily housed in a luxury hotel. I am looking for a grant to rent this apartment with advance rent/deposits too. Does anyone know of any grants that are available for this need?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Are they any help I can get

My house burnt down. I have no money and no where to go. Where can I find help?

I need emergency help ilost my house and everything in a fire and have no insurance cant find help

Where can I get help? We just loss everything we owned in a house fire including our beloved dogs, Rags our German Shepherd and Ryker our Pit Bull. We finally were able to secure an apartment, but have no furniture and can't seem to get help. We have nothing and every place I call sends me to another number. Everyone keeps passing the buck. We need help. Please.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Do you have Craigslist or Kijiji or another type of online "buy / sell" forum? Why not post ads?

My house burned down two days ago. I didn't have insurance. I lost everything. Yes it hurts to lose all my material stuff, but the biggest loss was my little dog. I'm homeless and broken hearted. What do I do now?

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had words to take the pain away. Please know that there are caring people on this site who are praying for you. The only thing I can think of at the time is to visit a church in your area, tell them of your dilemma, & ask for help. As for your dog companion, as a dog lover myself I can tell you that in due time you will find another dog who will need you as much as you need it. I know the loss is heartwrenching, keep in mind there are many rescue dogs waiting in shelters who are longing to be loved & cared for & when you are ready the right one will be there for you. God Bless & keep us posted on how you are doing.

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By Seiricka from Montgomery, AL

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning. Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

Can I use my property as collateral to get loan to rebuild a burned house? I have no insurance.

It really depends on the price of the land, on whether you own it ouright or have a lien on it and, ultimately, if the bank lets you.

If the bank doesn't it's possible that a private individual would.

Where can I find someone that can give free building materials to an elderly lady whose kitchen has been burned? We have people willing to do the work for free, but have no supplies. She is an 84 year old lady that just has no money to buy the materials. I don't have a picture at this time, but can get one soon.

Check local churches for donations and the local senior center.

How do I find help with repairs after a fire? We are trying to finish up the repairs, the contractor ran off and stole our money.

Is there any way to get the money back from this contractor? Can you take them to small claims court? They must still have a listing somewhere, like the phone book, and a business address.

If you have proof you paid them you should look into it.

I have four children ages 9, 2, and twin girls age one. Our home burnt down and we are homeless. Is there any assistance for getting us a home?

By Crystal from Clarksville, IN

I kind of think home owner insurance reminders, assuming it was her home, is a moot point right now. My guess is you don't have money for an apt. no matter how little work you have to do for upkeep.

I would call 211, as it helps with other things besides health insurance. Then, call St. Vincents and Salvation Army for assistance. You may have to stay in a shelter for a time, but you and your family will not be cold. If you have family that can and will help, take it. Ask your friends to pitch in and take in the kids for a few days while you have a chance to breath and navigate the next steps.

Contact the local news station and you may be amazed at how many people will help.

I wish you all the luck. PBP

My brother is disabled. There was a store fire that got into the 4 apartments. My brother's was one. He paid rent on the 3rd and on the 5th the place was destroyed. Red cross is helping him and the other families. They were all put into the same hotel, but only until Monday.

I started a go fund for my brother, but he lost so much. Some other family members had renter's insurance and brag how they're getting big money. It breaks my heart for my brother to lose so much and see him cry.

After Monday I don't know who could help him. He didn't get his rent back he had just paid so we have no way of renting him a place. I have cancer and have no way of helping him. Who can we ask for help? I have never asked before for anything. Does someone know who could help ? Thank you so much in advance.

Contact your local Social Services immediately. They may be able to help with various programs, but paperwork takes time so he needs to start right away.

Whether or not you ascribe to any particular religion, your local churches are another good place to ask for help. Most are more compassionate than you may have been led to believe.

The day after my birthday my house burnt down to the ground. Luckily it was daytime and nobody was home, but we lost it all. The local Red Cross gave us $500, but with paying for a hotel, toiletries, and few items of clothing, on day 2 it is gone. Please we need advice where we can get help. We live in a poor area and charities are few and far between. I am a single mom of 2 little girls. Please help us with any info on where we can get help. Thank you, God Bless.

By Jodi

Anonymous

I feel your pain, I'm a fire victim as well. So to say, you don't know how it is to be uninsured and own your home on a fixed income.To own your home for 35year

My mother's house burned down this past Saturday morning. We found out she was not insured. She is 83 years old and the widow of a Korean war veteran. She is coming home with me. Is there anyway we can get help to rebuild?

By Thomas

The Red Cross would be the best bet to start. Then with friends & relatives you have you can put together a fund raiser to help with finances. Just make it into a great big party! As for future housing, would be heart-moving to take her in if possible. It is a terrible trial that has happened to you & yours, it's all about compassion. I bid you blessings for a great outcome! I must say the first comment made a lot of sense but come on, word something different to lesson the blow, I am sure they feel maybe they should have secured mother for emergencies< it is called Empathy! :)

I had a bad house fire yesterday, 2-25-2016. I was at the doctor's office and got a call from the fire department. When I returned home my kitchen and everything was destroyed. I am looking for advice on where I might find help. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am so very sorry for your loss! Call The Red Cross First!! Call your local churches and especially if you are practicing at one particular church. They are usually the greatest source of contributors. Contact the closest Good Will for furniture and appliances. Put out flyers and put a free ad in your local newspaper. And ask to start a fund through your bank. People are wonderful when it comes to "Acts of kindness" and giving from the heart! There is not a better feeling than helping someone who is in desperate need. I too had a fire and lost everything. I hope these suggestions work. And "God Bless You." Is there somehow I could get your address to send you a check, Please?

On July 4, 2015 three teenage girl's set fire to my 100yr old historic home in Texas. It was not insured, it burned to the ground and I lost everything. Are there any government agencies that would help, being as it was arson. I am wondering if maybe FEMA would help also. My home was paid for; I don't know if that matters or not. Any advice as to who would help with a arson fire?

Why was your home uninsured-historical or not?

Three teenage girls burned down your house? Were they arrested, tried, convicted? If they are legally at fault, have you filed a private suit against them (and their parents) for full recovery of your losses? You may win a suit, but the responsibility for collecting any money is yours. If their parents do not have money, etc., your chances of recovering are nil.

There are victim's assistance programs in some areas but I doubt they will help rebuild your house.

Try an online search for possible programs in your area.

Your best hope is filing suit and moving forward with litigation.

Load More