Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

A house or apartment fire is devastating. Coping with the aftermath can be easier if you have assistance. This is a guide about finding agencies to help after a house fire.

December 5, 2016 Flag

How do I get grants after a fire at my house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for all the advise. I do not need with clothing or a place to stay I already received help with all of that. The damage was greater than I thought and my house is under insured. I am not receiving enough money to do all the repairs necessary therefore the need to help with building material and someone to do the work who would be prepared to do the repairs at a much lower cost. I am a South African but hoping to find someone who can make it possible to help me find someone whom they know of.

December 31, 2014 Flag

I had a fire in my home Dec 1st in PA. I lost everything. I am single, all alone and on disability. Can't afford to rebuild. Can I get any help? I am reaching out as the house was not insured. Please help. Is there any assistance available?

By Robin S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This same thing happened to a girl friend years ago but it was her young daughter that was disabled. They too lost everything including their miniature poodle [poor thing] it didn't make it out of the house. They went to the county they lived in and the Salvation Army for help.

Call your social worker and let them know what has happened to you. Perhaps the YWCA could answer some of your questions also. Your in my thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time.

May 31, 2016 Flag

The place where I was staying in Clark county in Washington had a house fire, and now I am temporarily housed in a luxury hotel. I am looking for a grant to rent this apartment with advance rent/deposits too. Does anyone know of any grants that are available for this need?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we lost everything and our insurance company isn't helping us, nor will they even pay for contents. Insurance companies are not helping us, the Red Cross is.

December 6, 2015 Flag

My home burned down and I have no place to go. I was wondering how do I get help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

contact Red Cross. they were a big help for me and my family when our house burnt

September 16, 2016 Flag

My house burnt down. I have no money and no where to go. Where can I find help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need emergency help ilost my house and everything in a fire and have no insurance cant find help

June 12, 2016 Flag

Where can I get help? We just loss everything we owned in a house fire including our beloved dogs, Rags our German Shepherd and Ryker our Pit Bull. We finally were able to secure an apartment, but have no furniture and can't seem to get help. We have nothing and every place I call sends me to another number. Everyone keeps passing the buck. We need help. Please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you have Craigslist or Kijiji or another type of online "buy / sell" forum? Why not post ads?

February 13, 2016 Flag

My house burned down two days ago. I didn't have insurance. I lost everything. Yes it hurts to lose all my material stuff, but the biggest loss was my little dog. I'm homeless and broken hearted. What do I do now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had words to ease your pain. Please know that there are caring people on this site who are praying for you. The only idea I can come up with at the time is maybe you can visit a church in your area & explain your dilemma & ask for help. As for your dog companion I am a dog lover also & I can tell you that in due time you will find another dog that needs you as much as you need it there are many rescue dogs longing for someone to love them . God Bless & let us know how you are doing.

June 15, 2015 Flag

Where can I find someone that can give free building materials to an elderly lady whose kitchen has been burned? We have people willing to do the work for free, but have no supplies. She is an 84 year old lady that just has no money to buy the materials. I don't have a picture at this time, but can get one soon.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check local churches for donations and the local senior center.

August 30, 2015 Flag

How do I find help with repairs after a fire? We are trying to finish up the repairs, the contractor ran off and stole our money.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is there any way to get the money back from this contractor? Can you take them to small claims court? They must still have a listing somewhere, like the phone book, and a business address.

If you have proof you paid them you should look into it.

January 10, 2015 Flag

I have four children ages 9, 2, and twin girls age one. Our home burnt down and we are homeless. Is there any assistance for getting us a home?

By Crystal from Clarksville, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I kind of think home owner insurance reminders, assuming it was her home, is a moot point right now. My guess is you don't have money for an apt. no matter how little work you have to do for upkeep.

I would call 211, as it helps with other things besides health insurance. Then, call St. Vincents and Salvation Army for assistance. You may have to stay in a shelter for a time, but you and your family will not be cold. If you have family that can and will help, take it. Ask your friends to pitch in and take in the kids for a few days while you have a chance to breath and navigate the next steps.

Contact the local news station and you may be amazed at how many people will help.

I wish you all the luck. PBP

December 23, 2010 Flag

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By Seiricka from Montgomery, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning. Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

May 8, 2016 Flag

My brother is disabled. There was a store fire that got into the 4 apartments. My brother's was one. He paid rent on the 3rd and on the 5th the place was destroyed. Red cross is helping him and the other families. They were all put into the same hotel, but only until Monday.

I started a go fund for my brother, but he lost so much. Some other family members had renter's insurance and brag how they're getting big money. It breaks my heart for my brother to lose so much and see him cry.

After Monday I don't know who could help him. He didn't get his rent back he had just paid so we have no way of renting him a place. I have cancer and have no way of helping him. Who can we ask for help? I have never asked before for anything. Does someone know who could help ? Thank you so much in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local Social Services immediately. They may be able to help with various programs, but paperwork takes time so he needs to start right away.

Whether or not you ascribe to any particular religion, your local churches are another good place to ask for help. Most are more compassionate than you may have been led to believe.

May 15, 2011 Flag

The day after my birthday my house burnt down to the ground. Luckily it was daytime and nobody was home, but we lost it all. The local Red Cross gave us $500, but with paying for a hotel, toiletries, and few items of clothing, on day 2 it is gone. Please we need advice where we can get help. We live in a poor area and charities are few and far between. I am a single mom of 2 little girls. Please help us with any info on where we can get help. Thank you, God Bless.

By Jodi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I feel your pain, I'm a fire victim as well. So to say, you don't know how it is to be uninsured and own your home on a fixed income.To own your home for 35year

July 27, 2015 Flag

On July 4, 2015 three teenage girl's set fire to my 100yr old historic home in Texas. It was not insured, it burned to the ground and I lost everything. Are there any government agencies that would help, being as it was arson. I am wondering if maybe FEMA would help also. My home was paid for; I don't know if that matters or not. Any advice as to who would help with a arson fire?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why was your home uninsured-historical or not?

Three teenage girls burned down your house? Were they arrested, tried, convicted? If they are legally at fault, have you filed a private suit against them (and their parents) for full recovery of your losses? You may win a suit, but the responsibility for collecting any money is yours. If their parents do not have money, etc., your chances of recovering are nil.

There are victim's assistance programs in some areas but I doubt they will help rebuild your house.

Try an online search for possible programs in your area.

Your best hope is filing suit and moving forward with litigation.

December 19, 2014 Flag

My friend is a single mom and her house burned down.
I would like to directed to a charity or more that will help my friend rebuild her house.

By Robert

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not provide any further information so no one can even begin to respond to your question. If your friend owned the house and has insurance, she should contact her insurance company. There may be other options available to her but you did not provide any more information.

February 26, 2016 Flag

I had a bad house fire yesterday, 2-25-2016. I was at the doctor's office and got a call from the fire department. When I returned home my kitchen and everything was destroyed. I am looking for advice on where I might find help. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am so very sorry for your loss! Call The Red Cross First!! Call your local churches and especially if you are practicing at one particular church. They are usually the greatest source of contributors. Contact the closest Good Will for furniture and appliances. Put out flyers and put a free ad in your local newspaper. And ask to start a fund through your bank. People are wonderful when it comes to "Acts of kindness" and giving from the heart! There is not a better feeling than helping someone who is in desperate need. I too had a fire and lost everything. I hope these suggestions work. And "God Bless You." Is there somehow I could get your address to send you a check, Please?

February 18, 2015 Flag

My home was burnt down. My family lost everything and now we're staying in a hotel. The funding is running out and it's very cold. The Red Cross helped along with another organization. I live on SCSI and don't receive that until next month. What else can I do in the short term?

By Leah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There isn't much you can do until you get some cash for a rental. Sometimes the county that a person lives in will help with deposit and rent, for one month. Did you have home owner's insurance or renter's insurance, whichever you were doing? Do you have family or friends you could stay with for a couple weeks? If you have a pastor talk to him/her.

When you find a place to live, you can go to your local Salvation Army Office and ask for a voucher to take to their thrift store, for whatever furniture you need. Most of the thrift stores only give the necessities, no electronics, TVs, etc. Most of the time you will have to be able to transport it. If the thrift store has your requirements they will give it to you free, as long as you have the voucher.

February 10, 2015 Flag

My mother's house burned down this past Saturday morning. We found out she was not insured. She is 83 years old and the widow of a Korean war veteran. She is coming home with me. Is there anyway we can get help to rebuild?

By Thomas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What does the fact that your mother is the widow of a Korean War vet have to do with your question? I haven't heard of any organizations that rebuild homes for any reason. I know of organizations that help with repairs, but when it comes to rebuilding an entire house I don't know.

Most organizations that help with repairs do go by income and there is a waiting list. Just because a person is a senior citizen doesn't necessarily mean they are low income. At your mother's age if she didn't know she should have homeowner's insurance, you should probably have been nosing into her financial affairs and helping her figure out what necessities she needed to have. Instead of rebuilding her house, sell the lot it was on and find a senior citizen's apartment complex that she can get into one of their units in a short amount of time.

January 26, 2015 Flag

I need advice on where else to look for help for my daughter and her family. They are victims of their home burning down 2 days before Christmas. I went to gofunme.com and pleaded with family and friends to please donate. When we have had spare money we gave some to back home family. Now they don't say anything. We have tried gov.ag and web sites to raise money where do we turn to for help? We have gone to every ag we could think of. Can you or someone tell me what to do?

By Janet

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The American Red Cross will give them vouchers to take to a store for a couple outfits per family member. When they have a place of their own to live, they can also get vouchers for one set of bedding and one set of towels per family member.

To get furniture, they can go to the Salvation Army Office in your area and get a voucher to take to the Salvation Army Thrift Store and get free furniture. They might not get everything they need, but they will get whatever items the Thrift Store has on hand.

In most cases they will only be given the necessities, no TVs or electronic stuff. Each family member can also get vouchers for a couple outfits of clothing too. Most of the stuff at the Thrift Store won't be new, but some of it could be.

January 15, 2015 Flag

We had a housefire and have reached out to the Red Cross and that helped for 5 days, but they couldn't help past that. We are going to be out of our house for another 3-4 weeks and are needing assistance on where to stay and what we can do for some temp housing.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceJune 16, 2014
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
A firefighter in the smoke from a house fire.
Removing Smoke Odor After a House Fire
A smoking outlet, the start of a house fire.
Restoring Wood Floors After a House Fire
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 8:25:16 AM on 10.0.2.156 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.